cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Router downstairs.

MrJudge
Tuning in

Good afternoon, 

I have my router upstairs in my “ games room “ but my wife recently gave birth and I’m unable to disappear there for more than five minutes at a time. 

I’m looking to move my router and pc to downstairs in the same room as my virgin tv box, to better keep an eye on the baby while still getting use of my pc.

I’m guessing I need a splitter to split the one virgin media wall cable, into two cables? Putting a cable in my tv box and one in my router? 

Can i use 3rd party hardware to do this? Eg; A splitter from Amazon/eBay. Or do I need official virgin media hardware?

Or am I gonna have to pay virgin media £99 to come out and put a splitter on?

I understand the engineer needs paid and that reflects in the price. But it’s very expensive for something I could do myself in five minutes, while  spending £3.99 on eBay. 

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All of VM's cabling is part of their network, and (well-intentioned) DIY amendments run the risk of injecting RF noise and potentially causing issues for your service and that of your neighbours.

Is there anyway you could connect your PC using wireless? Or an extended Ethernet cable run? It would probably be a lot cheaper.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your reply,

Okay I understand. I don’t want to reduce the quality of my service, and or cause issues for others. 

Unfortunately I can’t do a extended run, we recently had new carpets fitted and the wife won’t allow them to be pulled up. Or for the cabling to run on show. 

I could buy a WiFi adapter for my pc, but it would seem more beneficial to have the router downstairs. So I can Ethernet my pc, ps5 and virgin tv box. The WiFi signal isn’t too optimal in my house either.

There are blackspots through-out my living room, kitchen and bedrooms, receiving low to no WiFi signal. I currently have my router in modem mode with my own bought router setup to try boost signal but it’s still just functional. 

It’s frustrating but I think my only option is to pay the £99 for a two minute job. I could install it myself but I don’t think they’d send me the part I need either. 

If you have any other thoughts or suggestions I’d love to hear them. 

You could use homeplugs, they aren't as cheap as £3.99 but they are cheaper than £99.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MrJudge 

You think it’s a two minute job but have underestimated what is actually involved.

Do you know how to cap off the unused co-ax point?

Do you have access to the street cab to alter the signal levels to your house, should it be required?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

A “two minute” job may have been used incorrectly there. I retract my claim of it being easy.  

Also, me claiming the job is as easy as it taking two minutes is incentive, the engineers train and work very hard to do what they do. I apologise. 

I just looked into your recommendation. And it’s seems like it could be a viable fix. 

would I be able to plug my hub 3 (in modem mode) via Ethernet into a homeplug. Then from the other homeplug into my own WiFi router? 

Or would it have to be my hub 3 in router mode into the homeplug, and from the other homeplug into my appliances via Ethernet? 

Do you know if homeplugs emit a WiFi boost, or are they just a alternative to a cable run? 

Thank you.