Menu
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Live TV Program Guide

WIll a Live TV program guide ever arrive to the V6?

By this I mean – if the guide says a certain program is on at 8pm but then the schedule changes and that program is then not shown, the guide should automatically show to reflect this.

Take last night for example – I had a Series Link set for Holby (Tuesdays on BBC ONE HD 8pm to 9pm). At around 7pm, there was an unscheduled special news program reporting on the BREXIT shenanigans at Parliament. This ran until around 8pm at which point, my V6 then started recording what it thought was Holby at 8pm.

However, the BBC, then decided to show Would I Lie To You at 8pm instead (which wasn’t even on the schedule), and then showed EastEnders at 8:30pm. So no sign of Holby at all (unless I missed it!!!).

Surely its about time that the Guide on the V6 should be upgraded to show this sort of stuff?!

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Live TV Program Guide

As Virgin update their own EPG unlike Sky and Freeview and the Tivo needs to plan recording I doubt it will ever happen, how about if the BBC stuck to their own schedule

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Been discussed before, & is likely never to happen.

The V6 has to organise recordings & suggestions covering 6 tuners & 200+ channels. Every time an update is sent out the firmware will have to reprocess everything that is planned. At the moment AFAIK the boxes do this once overnight & it takes around 2 hours.

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

In the dim and distant past there used to be a system called TV schedule plus, that allowed you to scan in a bar code to record programs and if the program was delayed or set to another day it would update your recorder.
It died a death as it was unworkable, changes caused by live events if a TV company slotted the deferred program into a different slot has knock on effects, and with a series, the likes of BBC and ITV just  bump it to the next week, slot it in on another day at another time or simply make it available in the iplayers.
All you can realistically do is when using a series link and a show is missing is to use the upcomming option and set the missing episode record again as a manual recording.

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@michaeldavis wrote:

All you can realistically do is when using a series link and a show is missing is to use the upcoming option and set the missing episode record again as a manual recording.

Can I just clarify this.....

So if my Series Link is set to record Holby on BBC 1HD on Tuesdays 8pm to 9pm, and this week's episode is postponed until next Wednesday (there are actually 2 episodes next week - one in the usual slot on the Tuesday and an extra one on the Wednesday), will the Series Link still pick this up without me having to do anything?

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

My advice is to not assume.

Check Planned Recordings and, if necessary, set one-off recordings if the series link isn’t doing the scheduling.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@nodrogd wrote:

Been discussed before, & is likely never to happen.

The V6 has to organise recordings & suggestions covering 6 tuners & 200+ channels. Every time an update is sent out the firmware will have to reprocess everything that is planned. At the moment AFAIK the boxes do this once overnight & it takes around 2 hours.

It runs approx every 5-6 hours, so 4-ish times a day. Otherwise entirely correct!!

As regards the other poster asking about rescheduled episodes... 2 things with this..

1: The TiVo is pretty good when you've got a recording, there's an option under the show for "related videos" or something similar, which will shortcut to any VOD equivalents. Weeks like this when schedules have changed, that at least gives you a shortcut to iPlayer or whatever.

2: When the episode is rescheduled, it's a fresh airing and not a repeat. Therefore the "first aired date", which in TiVo land is gospel, will be updated - thus the episode gets scheduled for recording. I seem to recall the exact same thing happened in the exact same "breaking news" circumstances when BBC1's Our Girl was last being shown, and some episodes got rescheduled multiple times. As long as the first-aired-date is correctly updated in time for broadcast, TiVo will do the rest.

I'm also very much in the camp of the broadcasters having a schedule and sticking to it, but sometimes you just accept it's a lost cause and run with it...

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The Sky system updates why not Virgin ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Good day I'm a Virgin Media customer
I'm complaining about the fact that u don't keep your TV guide upto date on the TV and on the App Example last evening at 7.00 pm The One show was moved to BBC2 but this was not reflected on the TV Nor on the Virgin App However as I was previously a Sky Customer I looked at the Sky App they were totally upto date What is the problem with Virgin that u don't keep your on screen upto date with Program Details Whenever the One Show or other programs you don't show details of the program whereas Sky do . Come on I spend a lot of money with u every month and expect an accurate uptodate program guide
Thank You 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

This has been discussed ad nauseam before and is not going to change.

Search around and you will get the previous discussions.

If you need a dynamic, fully up-to-date Guide, you will need to look elsewhere.

The V6, TiVo software, has many other features not available with other suppliers, so it’s a matter of choosing which subset of functions meets your needs.

Use Kudos to say thanks