Menu
Highlighted
jdoherty76
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Linking multiple V6 boxes Wirelessly

Not sure if this is the correct form apologies if not.  I have 2 V6 boxes.  One in the living room and one in the lounge and I want to be able to link these wirelessly so that I can view the recording from one box in either room.  I can't see to get this to work successfully.  I have named each box seperately and ensure that they stay on low power or powered on and power cycled them various times.  Remote control for both devices set up correctly.  However when viewing these boxes I keep getting a C423 message which doesn't really explain a great deal.

1:  Is it possible to link 2 V6 boxes wirelessly, I'm on 200MBP/s and have the latest router

2:  If not what is an alternative method of linking these boxes so that they work continuously, without the constant need to be investigating?

3:  Is this not possible?

any help and advice appreciated Thanks JD  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Linking multiple V6 boxes Wirelessly

its not recommended to use boxes on wireless. you could use wired connections. A wireless connection can work for 1 sometimes but 2 you are more likely to have problems with

0 Kudos
jdoherty76
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. How do I link these wired please?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

if your house power lines are good enough you can try powerline adapters otherwise you will need to fun a network cable from the V6 to the superhub

0 Kudos
jdoherty76
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

ok thanks would this be a network cable from each V6 box into the back of the hub..that could prove tricky as getting under the floor will be a challenge.. as for power line adapters would I need 3 of these then?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you go the powerline route, you will require three - a ‘master’ at the Superhub and one for each V6.

It may be worth trying one V6 WiFi connected and the other powerline connected.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Wise owl
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

jdoherty76 wrote:

Not sure if this is the correct form apologies if not.  I have 2 V6 boxes.  One in the living room and one in the lounge and I want to be able to link these wirelessly so that I can view the recording from one box in either room.  I can't see to get this to work successfully.  I have named each box seperately and ensure that they stay on low power or powered on and power cycled them various times.  Remote control for both devices set up correctly.  However when viewing these boxes I keep getting a C423 message which doesn't really explain a great deal.

1:  Is it possible to link 2 V6 boxes wirelessly, I'm on 200MBP/s and have the latest router

2:  If not what is an alternative method of linking these boxes so that they work continuously, without the constant need to be investigating?

3:  Is this not possible?

any help and advice appreciated Thanks JD  

Yes of course it is possible wirelessly.  I have 3 V6 boxes "Living room", "Back room" & "Bedroom" - and each sees the other two just fine over the wifi network.  We often play recordings from one on another TV.  A wired connection would of course give a more stable connection but that's not essential nor is it possible for me. 

What does the Network Settings Help screen say about the wireless connection on the two boxes.  Mine read at "100% Excellent" (next to the Hub) and the others both read "60% Good".  I am on the Virgin 200Mbs service too - but I use an Apple Airport Extreme Router and an Airport Express to ensure I have an excellent wifi coverage across the house.

So it is standard practice with wifi connection it is probably a setting on your router/hub or V6 box that needs changing - just call them up on 150  and get to speak to a techie or book an engineer visit - with a good connection between the boxes and the hub - there should be no problems he cannot fix.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes, Superhub2 with VIVID 200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
jdoherty76
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks JB.  I'd have thought in this day and age when you can have wireless just about anything that virgin would have cracked the simple protocol in allowing these boxes to communicate.  The Hub is centre hall Living room V6 box less than 10ft away through wall.  Lounge V6 box about 20ft away line of sight from the HUB. Each V6 can see the other named box however anytime I try to access the other box it throws up a C423 error. I understand that the normal course of action is to power cycle each box, however this defeats the purpose if this has to be done each time you want to see something on the other box.  I'll check the network settings home screen and respond in this post.  Then I'll call 150 and see if this is possible.  Thanks again I appreciate the response.. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

WiFi can be unreliable due to interference from other sources.
If having both boxes connected to the 5GHz band proves unreliable, the previous advice applies.
0 Kudos
Bala
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem - two V6 boxes + a new wifi thingy.  I can read the recorded lists on each/both but when I try to play a programme recorded on the other I get an error message (Maybe 459 can't remember).  I phoned 150 and explained my problems and was told that I needed a wired link between the router and TV before a wifi signal can be sent between the two.  I was told that Virgin would send me the correct wire - but it has not arrived yet.

0 Kudos