Menu
jonprocter
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Laying cable for a new V6 box

Hi all,

We're contemplating getting an additional V6 box in another room, but we don't want to have a new cable running along the skirting board (would rather have it behind the walls and then have a faceplate on the wall to plug the new box in).

What type of cabling would I need to get to install it all? A quick google suggests it's either double or triple shielded 75ohm RG6 (appears to be former for inside, latter for outside according to forum posts I've read)?

I won't be connecting it all up to Virgin's existing cable (I know that's Virgin's property) and will leave all of that to a Virgin engineer to do - we'll just lay the cable and leave it unplugged in the room where the Virgin cable enters the house. We just want to get the cabling sorted beforehand as I'm sure Virgin's engineers don't have time to faff about with installing cabling behind the walls etc.

Thank you! Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Shweby
Dialled in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Laying cable for a new V6 box

You cannot use any aftermarket coaxal cable on the vm network, it has to be theres. Using aftermarket can not only effect your setup but pottentially everyone else connected to the street cabinet by putting noise on the network. Why not let the engineer complete the install with aproved cable then you can tidy it up after?
0 Kudos
Tudor
Wise owl
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Laying cable for a new V6 box

The only way you can hide the cable is to install trunking in the wall with a pull cord and ask the VM technician to use it. Unfortunately this option is not always possible unless you are doing a lot of decorating. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos