cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Magic Remote V6 Pairing SUCCESS!

RS87
On our wavelength

Just a notice to say that you can successfully control your V6 box with your LG Magic Remote (at least with my model TV that is).

I have just bought an LG OLED55CX and you can pair the controller from the LG Home Dashboard under the Universal Control Settings. 

It actually does it all for you once you turn the box on for the first time but you can edit it if it doesn’t correctly detect and you can also search for any set top box.

Hope this helps some.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi SGofRDG,

If you are now running the TV360 software try the following on your LG TV

Settings > All Settings > Connection  > Device Connection Settings > Universal Control Settings >

Either search for Virgin Media or  Ziggo Mediabox Next - it may take a few goes to pick up the 360 and not all remote options will be available

Also check the following thread for other members using the 360-and-LG-magic-remote/ 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

mrskidmarks
Tuning in

Many thanks for that, I missed these details on initial,set-up and paired my V6 which I did under “Set-Top Box’.

Just to add a little for those who, like me, may have overlooked the Home Dashboard, the following may help:

Although the initial set-up enables the TV to acknowledge pairing to a “Set-Top Box” if one doesn’t persevere and continue into the more labtrynthial Home Dashboard and navigate to ‘Universal Connection Settings” the Magic Remote will be able to switch on and off the V6 but little else.

Pressing the remote’s … button opens the slide-out Window showing paired devices and a Menu, Play, Pause etc collection of symbols but these will not respond until fully paired.

The secret is to delve into these extra connection settings via Home Dashboard. It is a little clumsy and as there is only online documentation does require a bit of patience. Open Universal Connection under the Connections symbol and follow the instructions.

When the relevant window appears you will be asked to enter the name of the ‘device’ you wish to pair, a graphic explains that a label on the rear of said device contains this information, however on my V6 the label is underneath and although every serial and part number is listed it shows no name. It states that 3 words must be entered otherwise search will not work, or something like that.

I took a flyer and entered Virgin Media Tivo V6, completed the prompts and Presto! that enabled the Magic Remote.

Ok, the functions that the Virgin remote gives via it’s keys are not replicated on the Magic Remote, such as Video Controls (although Play and Pause function perfectly well, but no FF, Stop), Clear (when deleting folders from My Shows, etc) but the … button opens the window with controls to enter into Menu which opens up Programme List, My Shows etc

it’s still pretty satisfying to not have to have 2 remotes on hand at all times. I just wish the BOSE Soundbox Remote could be eliminated!

RS87
On our wavelength

Glad it helped at least one other person.

I agree, it's not a perfect fit, especially since there is no <<RW or FF>> buttons on the magic remote, as you stated. LG caved and appears to have taken the financial route by, most likely, receiving money from Netflix, Amazon and Rakuten by having dedicated buttons... the Rakuten on that sits plainly in the position of a media button. There's no need for a pause button, that should be combined within the play button and the pause and Rakuten (Movie) button should have been <<RW and FF>>.

New problem for me... I bought a new receiver and have lost my magic remote/V6 remote pairing by plugging V6 into back of it. I now have to have it plugged directly into TV if I want magic remote/V6 functionality. Not too much of an issue because of ARC but it's annoying to have to have it into TV instead of amp.

Oh and just to make it simple for others, from your reply, to get the additional buttons and menus, when paired to V6, the ••• button below button 9 on magic remote brings up the essential menu and additional buttons on screen. It's what you already said, just repeating. I know my wife would need double confirmation on all this hehe (funny but not joking lol).

There’s no previous channel button is there? Tried everything, can’t work it out. 

on an LG55CX and TiVo box. 

RWillows
On our wavelength

Hi,

I have recently found that my LG magic wand remote has unsynced from my V6 box now - despite trying to access the Universal Connection settings and trying to repair, I am having no luck!

Does anybody have any advice?

(I have also been having flickering screen issues on the V6 box over the last two days as well on x2 boxes in the home but I think it is unrelated to this issue)

Thanks,

Ryan

RS87
On our wavelength

You're welcome RWillows.

Have you recently upgraded to the 360 service? I have last week and it won't now sync with my LG remote. When I go through the Universal Remote settings via the LG menu, when it gets to the PR^ (Program Up) button to try, it doesn't work. Say no, try next one. Each time PR^ doesn't work.

I had reset the remote with my V6 box several weeks ago, so it worked perfectly fine. Done 360 upgrade, on existing V6 box, and does not work.

I had to reorder the new 360 box because they sent me 2 remotes but no new boxes.

Will update if the Magic remote syncs to the new boxes or not.

RS87
On our wavelength

No, it's not the greatest. Only does the basics and not perfect at that either.

tag1000
Joining in

Hi, this video has info on how to connect the Virgin V6 and the LG Magic remote..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atqIvFYCmlY

mikewarren23
On our wavelength

I’ve just bought an LG model 55UP77 , I can’t get the magic remote to control my tivo box at all. First of all thought it was going to be easy, during install it recognised the box as a virgin box, said it was setting up universal control. But. Didn’t work. 
tried everything I can find on Google. Can’t get it to work ☹️

RS87
On our wavelength

Did you click "did not work" when going through the setup?

I have a different model but my mine gives you a chance in the setup to confirm if it has worked, if not, it tries another code and does this about 4 or 5 times.