Menu
DaveMobile
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Is a free upgrade available for second (retained) box?

When we upgraded out box to TIVO we kept the old one rent-free and out in the bedroom upstairs (Virgin wired/installed it as a paid service) and then when we recently upgraded to the latest Hub 3.0 they said we keep the old TIVO box rent-free so we swapped that over...

But as a lot of people report, that TIVO box seems to get slower by the day (it couldn't knock the skin off the proverbial rice pudding) so I'm wondering if anyone knows whether this box is also subject to the free upgrade to Hub 3.0?

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is a free upgrade available for second (retained) box?

Do you mean the new V6 tv box? The hub 3 is a router and you only ever have one of those connected to the network. I believe everyone on 100Mb broadband or above is being offered an upgrade so they have one V6 box. If you want to upgrade a second box you may well have to pay an initial charge and monthly rental for the second box. Phone the thinking of leaving team on 150 during the day and talk over your options.
0 Kudos
DaveMobile
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks vircom

Yes. I meant my old Tivo box which we retained when we got the new V6 box along with an upgrade of the router to Hub 3.0

From my point of view retaining the old Tivo box as a second freebie was an essential part of the deal because it allows me to watch "proper" programs like football while She Who Must Be Obeyed drowns in stuff like Celebrity  up the Jungle etc; the old Tivo always was slow but since the main one was upgraded the old one is intermittently "dead slow and stop".  I haven't called support but I read (in article about the free Tivo V6 upgrade) that Virgin don't provide support for the old one any more. 

Maybe (and hopefully) that article isn't quite correct - I'll start with engineering support and go to the thinking of leaving team second if I get a runaround.

Thanks for your help!

Dave

0 Kudos
Highlighted
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm effectively in the same boat as you but I am on the VIP bundle.
I had a V6 at launch and then moved the TiVo elsewhere. As soon as this 'free upgrade' became available I got in touch with Virgin and even though my bundle now comes with 2 x V6 they would not budge and said it is a £20 charge to change the TiVo to a V6.
0 Kudos
DaveMobile
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, BinghamBloke

Not sure what they call my package now (it changed so many times!) but we have "Full House" TV and 200 MBps BBand plus phone (I pay - and resent - the rental in advance to save a bit).  I haven't called engineering support yet - I'll do it in the week and if they sort something out that's okay but without prejudgment, if I get the runaround I'll have to "reason" with them :-)

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you have your old Tivo as a freebie I doubt you will get a V6 replacement without paying for rental of the second box. The Tivo is still current,