Menu
AlanSpeed
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent TV Picture break up and Broadband dropping

Increasingly over recent weeks our TV picture breaks up briefly for a second or so before resuming (I have a TV V6 box). At the same time, we are increasingly getting intermittent dropping of the broadband connectivity (again this usually resolves itself quite quickly but of course often caused apps to drop, homeworking connection to drop, etc. and a lot of irritation).

The broadband problem happens on both wired and wireless devices (and the wifi devices are often very close to the router) so I don't think the problem is wireless signal strength and indeed my laptop tells me the signal is always strong.

I have tried all the connections between the Virgin wall box and the router and Tivo box and everything seems OK.

I gather that a weekly reboot of the router is recommended and I must admit I haven't routinely been doing this, but of course, this wouldn't explain the TV picture breakup.

Given that I am experiencing both TV and broadband issues my suspicion is that this is some sort of external problem causing a degradation of the signal to the house but I am reluctant to ring 150 and speak to Virgin as my experience is that they will waste my time trying lots of pointless tests over the course of several fruitless calls which given the intermittent nature of the problem probably want result in any fault resolution so I thought I'd try the forums?

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent TV Picture break up and Broadband dropping

Hi I know it's frustrating but you do need to be tenacious if you want anything done phoning is the best thing to do, the system will know you have already called, otherwise wait on here for a week for a virgin person to respond.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi AlanSpeed

Welcome to our forum pages and thank you for your post.

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with some of your services.

In terms of the picture quality can you check that all cables, the splitter and wall socket are secure? It's also important that the set top box is well ventilated. 

Can you then go to Home, Help and settings, Settings and Video output and let us know the number displayed next to 'Video Output Format' please? 

When you have issues with the broadband connection do all devices drop at the same time?

We hope to hear back from you soon. 

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
AlanSpeed
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response. I can report that: -

The cables are all secure and the V6 box has plenty of ventilation;

The "Video Output Format" is set to 1080p

There does seem to be a correlation between Broadband intermittently dropping briefly and the TV picture break up (which is why I think it's something external to the house) and why I've been able to rule out the router or wi-fi as the problem.

Thanks.

Alan.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My apologies Alan, is the picture break up on Live TV, or using On Demand? 

Has a reset/reboot been tried recently on the hub, and also a reboot on the V6 box?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos