cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITV Hub on demand is delayed

Mattenstein
Tuning in

I've been catching Classic Coronation Street on demand in the evening of each day it airs for ages now and it has always been available, yet lately the episodes aren't available to watch until the next day. Why this glitch and why can Virgin suddenly not upload them to the platform on the day they were aired?!

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

References to "ITV Hub" could mean one of two things:

1: Virgin OnDemand programmes that have ITV-Hub branding all over them.

2: Programmes on the ITV-branded streaming app accessed via the apps menu.

If it's scenario 2, you will need to contact ITV as it's their app which VM provide access to.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for you reply, however while the programme does stream from ITV Hub via the VM apps menu, it is only on that menu that it is delayed from appearing. If I visit ITV Hub via my smart TV or PC, the episodes are available when they don't yet appear available via the VM menu, which suggests to me that it's not ITV at fault, but VM failing to update their interface in good time. The only reason I prefer to watch ITV Hub via the VM menu is it plays ad-free.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you're using the ITV app it sounds, then you need to query that with ITV - https://help.itv.com/hc/en-us is probably as good as anywhere to start.

All of VM's TV boxes allow recording of programmes, and it does sound like you'd be better off doing this.

Recording programmes to your box's hard drive will usually be preferable to relying on any VOD or streaming services.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

There is a reason I don't record this programme, which is also down to VM's incapable system.

The system classes Classic Coronation Street as simple reruns of current Coronation Street, despite the fact they are set decades apart and essentially aired as seperate entities. To record Classic Corrie you have to set the series link that encompasses them both to 'new and reruns', not a problem in itself but the classic episodes are aired twice each day on ITV3 so it records them all, 2 copies of 2 episodes each day, which is unnecessary and clogs up my hard drive, plus it is not always easy to tell which are classic and which are current.

To avoid that faff I have to either select each episode to record each day, watch it on ITV Hub via the VM menu a day later than I am used to, or carry on watching it on other devices with the ads thrown in, guess it's the latter then.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TiVo "new & reruns" should only record one copy of each episode, whereas the behaviour you report is what I'd expect of "record everything" setting.

Hi @Mattenstein

Thanks for posting. Great to hear you watch the Classic Corries 🙂 not just me in that fan club then.

I'd set a seperate series link for both old and new (I don't watch new ones) and then the easiest way to tell them apart should the folders merge is check the recording time. 

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@John_GS wrote:

I'd set a seperate series link for both old and new (I don't watch new ones) and then the easiest way to tell them apart should the folders merge is check the recording time. 

Unfortunately @John_GS  that won't work.

The EPG data puts all episodes of Coronation Street in the same category, so you do need to use the "new only" flag to separate the new from reruns.

I still maintain that what I posted in message-6 is true. If Mattenstein is consistently getting multiple copies of the same episode on the "new & reruns" option, then something's awry. The first thing would be to toggle the setting to another option and back again - the TiVo equivalent of "a kick up the rear" for the SL.