Menu
howsthat1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

IR MODE V6 TIVO TV REMOTE

I have noticed high levels of E.M.R coming from my Virgin V6 TV remote when changing channels or when in Utube on my TV. These high short burst levels are not an issue when changing channels and I am at far more exposure from my wireless phone. These levels are also high when using Utube or the Utube search box and going through videos where I maybe using the remote for hours at a time. Radio signal is at its strongest from the rear of the remote where I usually hold it close to my body and pointing unnecessarily at the v6 box. How do I change the remote from Radio mode to Infra red mode - good question I think but no answers. The back of my install book states the V6 remote can operate in IR mode or RF mode but it appears there is no combination of button holds to change its mode. Unable to obtain a way to do this from the call centre. Pairing the remote is not an answer. I am however able to use my old previous type Tivo remote that only works in I.R. mode for this task. I have to point the remote directly at the V6 box but it gives off no radio frequency electro smog. If this old remote works why can I not find a simple way to get the new remote to work in infra red.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: IR MODE V6 TIVO TV REMOTE

You can unpair your remote so it uses IR as follows:

Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Devices > Remote Control Pairing > Unpair all V6 remotes

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
bbrown1664
Dialled in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

unpairing just stops the remote working with the v6. it does not stop the remote from trying.

I don't think you can turn the wireless transmitter off in the remote.

0 Kudos
howsthat1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello and thanks for your reply - I will try that.

0 Kudos
howsthat1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your replay - yes I think unpairing will possibly mean I lose control of the volume switch on the Virgin remote but it may not put it back into IR Mode either as you say - I will try this later. There is a Utube video for the Tivo remote but it is different to the Virgin Tivo remote. This video does show how to put the remote back to IR mode.
I think wireless signals are worth considering with these remotes after all laptops are no longer called laptops - there note books because its not considered totally safe to have these things on your lap.
0 Kudos
bbrown1664
Dialled in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

No. Volume on the virgin remote is IR to the TV. this isn't affected by unpairing the v6 and controller.

Unpairing from the V6 will just unpair the RF between the V6 and the controller. It will not stop the controller transmitting as it will still try to send a signal.

0 Kudos
khats
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I do not get the option to unpair? The only option is "Press OK when finished" and the remote is already paired. I want to switch to IR so that I can get my Broadlink to learn the remote codes.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK the V6 remote will always transmit via IR regardless of whether it is paired, so you shouldn't need to un-pair it to learn the IR commands.

0 Kudos
khats
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Didn't work forme. However, I found that you can switch it to IR mode from the remote.

To clear your changes and reset your Virgin TV remote to its original settings: Press and hold down Clear and TV on the remote at the same time until the light on the top of the remote flashes green twice Press Thumbs Down three times, then press OK The LED will flash green twice and exit programming mode

Worked and Broadlink was able to learn most of the buttons. However, it has now lost main tv controls (volume/mute etc)

Remedied this by following instructions to control tv with virgin remote

0 Kudos
howsthat1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Why do these remotes send out such a powerful signals to a TV 6 feet away. Tested my mothers smart meter recently. There's so much fuss about how bad these things are for people and yet the signal stayed in the green where as my remote goes all the way into the red.

0 Kudos