Menu
ptsrbdm
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hub and TV Box Connections

I recently added Virgin TV to my account. When I was reviewing the installation options, I chose self-installation and chose the option for having the Hub and the TV Box in separate rooms. I (reasonably, or so I thought!) assumed that, because the installation seemed to anticipate that the Hub and the TV Box would be in separate rooms, they would not need to be linked with physical cables.

I received the TV Box yesterday and started installation. I can see that the instructions assume that the Hub and the TV Box will be linked by coax cable but this is not possible based on the current locations of the Hub and the TV Box at opposite ends of the house! I note that the installation instructions anticipate that the internet elements of Hub and the TV Box can be linked via WiFi "if the Hub and the TV Box are too far apart to be linked by Ethernet cable". Given that the provided Ethernet cable is actually longer than the coax cable, I'm struggling to imagine when this situation would arise (i.e. if the boxes HAVE to be linked by coax cable then they're always going to be close enough to linked by Ethernet cable) unless it's also possible to link the two boxes without the coax cable?! One thought I had was whether the Hub can be connected via coax cable to a wall connection in its room and the TV Box can be connected via coax cable to a wall connection in the other room?

I'm hoping I've missed something - can anybody help?

Many thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub and TV Box Connections

Hub and the V6 are not linked to each other by coax - they both need an individual link to the VM coax network, and if you don't have a connection point (or splitter) near enough to the V6 box then you'll need an engineer visit for installation.

The V6 and Hub only connect to each other via Ethernet or Wifi - but both still need their own coax connection to the VM network.

Keith

Superuser1718.png

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes the Hub can be in one room connected by coax and the Hub in another also connected by coax.  the only issue you have then is connecting the V6 to the Hub.  This is best done by Cat6a ethernet cable if you can - check out running cable under floorboards or carpets or along skirting boards if you can.  If not they can be connected by wifi (I have 2 that are) - but you do need a good strong/stable wifi signal at the V6 location.  You can check that once the Hub is up and running with a wifi analyser App on the phone - or more pragmatically you can just see if it works.  If not you can do a few things to improve the wifi signal at the V6 or use Powerline adapters to connect them with short Cat6a cables.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
ptsrbdm
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks! So (just to check I'm understanding correctly), I can get the Hub connected to a coax point in its room and then connect the V6 to its own coax point in the other room but both need to be coax points which are connected to the VM network? Obviously the one my Hub is connected to will be so it sounds like I just need to arrange an engineer to come and connect the coax point for the V6.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes

Is the coax point in the room where the V6 goes, actually a VM one - or just one for a normal TV aerial ?  Maybe take a picture and post it here or see if you can see/track where the external cabling goes - to the roof or to the VM wall box outside?.  If its a VM one it should be ok to just plug into.  If it isnt, you will need a techie to install and set the system up

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
ptsrbdm
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Pretty sure it's just a regular coax - when we got the internet installed, the engineer only worked on the room where the Hub is set up, so will arrange for another one to come out.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos