Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to force V6 box to higher video settings?

Are you sure that you are using the correct spec cable?

This is the one I am using with my Panasonic TX40EX600B:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DYQ2BOK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_XzSdCbH6YD8X1

BTW I use ‘mode2’ in my HDMI setting.

Do you have another 4K source that has tested OK on the TV?

Have you ensured the TV firmware is up-to-date?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
andrewchalkley
Joining in
Message 12 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Ahh that's reassuring to know ... for some reason I sort of assumed they may not be interested. No reason to think that in fairness.

All of our sets are Panasonic's ... since selling my mega old Pioneer 2001 Plasma earlier year ... I do like their product from the DT30's onwards and at some magic point maybe next year or year after I intend buy one of their top end OLED's when money and a few standards like HDMI 2.1 are settled. Mind I'd be best sorting today's problem first before planning me next 2 years spend 🙂 

0 Kudos
andrewchalkley
Joining in
Message 13 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ernie ... can't be 100% sure but I tired three brand new ones so far ....  the one that came with the V6, a longer generic HDMI (might be an Amazon generic) and a hugely expensive certified German one... think was about £40 worth and purported to do everything bar make a cup of tea. Seemed that the results were consistent with each.

The EX700B was originally in mode2 I think so useful to know that your similar model prefers Mode2 as well. Was just looking at the spec differences and they seem very small indeed bar the screen size itself....

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/5f9319317

Yes I have a Roku stick that I've fired up a couple of 4k films on the EX700B and indeed the Iplayer football and tennis during the Summer ... they ran without hitch. Thinking on both ran from the Roku HDMI stick, not via any external tuner.

Thanks for the analysis, is useful.

Firmware is .22, the latest one but was one level below before starting the fault finding.

Is useful to know about the HDMI cable you used ... even if to discuss with Pana support. Will take a look at the spec of that now

0 Kudos
andrewchalkley
Joining in
Message 14 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Ernie just to ask, that specific cable you went for ....  was that as a result of having a problem with the Pana / V6 or just wanted to aim at higher quality all round?

I feel I should give that a go ... mind I'm drowning in new HDMI cables just now ... suppose another one won't hurt 🙂 

Also just to ask, did the standard one that came with V6 from VM actually work at all?

Cheers

0 Kudos
andrewchalkley
Joining in
Message 15 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Just a note to say thanks for support from folks so far on this one. I'm no further forward yet but the logic advice is helpful.

I've noticed in other posts that Virgin support folks join in the conversations sometimes .... anyone from VM have any input to this and what we might try? Is there a 'god setting' on the V6 that would work on any TV? video o/p wise .... even if just for testing and proving were the issue lies?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@andrewchalkley wrote:

Ernie just to ask, that specific cable you went for ....  was that as a result of having a problem with the Pana / V6 or just wanted to aim at higher quality all round?

I feel I should give that a go ... mind I'm drowning in new HDMI cables just now ... suppose another one won't hurt 🙂 

Also just to ask, did the standard one that came with V6 from VM actually work at all?

Cheers

I was a triallist for V6 and initially had it connected to a 1080P TV.

When the TV failed, I decided to purchase a new 4K TV and purchased the cable I advised as a high spec, low cost item to hopefully avoid any issues. 

I have had no issues.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
andrewchalkley
Joining in
Message 17 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ernie, so not that it was a problem, just to get the best out of the configuration ... understand. Thanks for confirming.

Have asked users on the EX700B forum on AVforums if anyone saw a V6 related issue. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

0 Kudos
andrewchalkley
Joining in
Message 18 of 23
Flag for a moderator

OK weirdness continues!

Panasonic support contacted me and suggested we take the V6 box and connect it to another 4k set. .... Good idea. We did.

Connected it (without VM signal) to a Samsung 4K set at another location. it worked perfectly and set to 2160.

Took the same cables and V6 back home and connected it to the EX700B Panasonic and .... it worked! And is working right now. Odd?

I've wandering if by connecting it to the Samsung that the V6 found the set better than on the Panasonic and set it up the 4k? 

In parallel, a gentleman who replied to a post on AVforum (who had literally just purchased the precise same model) tried connecting to his new V6 and that worked perfectly.

What on earth happened? And why? Is great news of course but something very odd happened here ...  still cannot fathom if it's the V6 or the TV. It feels like it was the V6 (but two brand new boxes?) ... once the V6 saw the Samsung it was fine and then decided to like the EX700B Panasonic!!!

Going to let it run a few days before calling it a success but looking good. But why? Anyway might be useful fault finding for others in future.

And should say that was with the standard supplied HDMI cable that came with the V6 .... got three other brand new HDMI's for sale including a Purelink one cost me £80 if anyone wants! 🙂 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi andrewchalkley,

I am really sorry to hear about this, given we have tried several boxes and the latest on works with another TV does suggest it may be that causing the issue.

Have the manufacturer offered further support?

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
andrewchalkley
Joining in
Message 20 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Joe,

Yes as mentioned Pana have been in touch and suggested the test on another 4k set as test to HD set is not 100% conclusive.

Yes the VM swapped boxes and visited, no complaints there at all but this is more about how to set the V6 box video O/P setting, essentially over-riding the auto sense function I think.

It seems strange that to plug V6 into the test Samsung that it auto-sensed but could not on the new Pana. My best analysis is that some sort of handshake could not work between V6 and the Pana EX700B. And surely there is a procedure that we could have used to set the V6 box settings manually to test/force that relationship.

So yes we are in a better place and indeed it's worked perfectly the last 18 hours or so but we don't know why? That's the issue and if there is a manual adjust procedure for the V6, it could help others posting and indeed save engineer visits and box swaps for the VM guys?

If some understanding can be gained of why this happened then customer happier and VM saves time and money? not a complaint, I'm happy to have a working solution but can imagine this to occupy a lot of time and frustration for someone with less fault finding skills and less patient. Been three weeks to get to a working TV O/P.

0 Kudos