cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get subtitles on Channel 4

Ropy
Superfast

Hi.

I'm watching the bookmarked episodes of 'Deceit' through the V6 box.

How do I get subtitles on it?

If I go to channel 4 website I can switch subtitles on.

Does  Channel 4 refuse to offer Virgin Media this option, or is Virgin Media simply not paying for it?

I am hard of hearing and find that Subtitles seem to be an afterthought in a lot of cases.

I hope you can help.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Better still, record the programme that you know you'll want to watch...

Flick through the adverts, and get subtitles thrown in!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pressing the "subtitles" button on your remote should toggle subtitles on/off. Also pressing "info" and scrolling down to the (IIRC) third tab should prompt you for whether subtitles are on, and whether the programme in question has this.

It's only quite recently that VM have begun to offer subtitles on OnDemand content - for many years it was just not available. I'm not near my V6 to double-check, but IIRC it's some C5 & Sky One programmes that were having them initially. You may find the All-4 branded app (Home > Apps > All Apps > Channel 4) might have them, if the VoD version doesn't. The broadcast programme - and hence any recording - almost certainly will.

Check the info panel and scroll down - that'll be pretty conclusive either way.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi japitts

I've found that if I go to Channel 4 via 'Catch Up' on the V6 box, there are no subtitles. I hit the info button and go down to subtitles it says that there are no subtitles. But there doesn't seem to be adverts!!

If I got to channel 4 via 'Apps & Games' I can switch subtitles on by hitting pause and selecting subtitles, but I get adverts.

Seems I have a choice Adverts + Subtitles via apps or No Adverts + No subtitles via catch up.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Better still, record the programme that you know you'll want to watch...

Flick through the adverts, and get subtitles thrown in!

Hah!

That requires me to be proactive. I’m not very good at that.😏

Cheers. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you set a Series Link, all future episodes will be automatically recorded for you.

Find the programme in the TV Guide, which generally runs 14 days in advance (with some exceptions on the FTA channels), press "record" on your remote and choose "Get series link".

Series links, once set, stick for future series too.

Hi japitts.
I have a bunch of Series Links set up.
If they actually record programs and save them on the Hard disk, I usually can get subtitles and can whizz through the adverts.
The problem occurs when only a bookmark is saved and I use the bookmark to watch it. No adverts, no subtitles.
I think the bookmarks are the equivalent of clicking catch up, going to the channel and searching for the program, then watching it.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Indeed so - bookmarks are shortcuts to OnDemand programmes that are intended to look & feel like recorded programmes.

It's just as easy to set a programme to record as it is to create a bookmark (actually fewer keypresses), and if you have a Series Link set to include "Recordings & streaming videos" you get the best of both. A VoD bookmark if one is available, and a recording on the first available broadcast showing.