cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I “Repeat Guided Setup”?

Bru1806
On our wavelength

Hi, could anyone tell me how to “repeat guided setup” on my TiVo box, please? Virgin seem to have done some kind of upgrade or reset and now I have no planned recordings and all the TV channels say “To be announced” in the TV Guide. I have a message saying I need to “repeat guided setup” to fix this, but I’ve been through all the help and settings to find this option, and can’t. Restarting the box hasn’t helped. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm not sure what you mean by "repeat guided setup" or where this advice has come from, but TBA in your TV Guide is often a symptom of a lost internet connection, rendering your TiVo unable to download the guide updates.

The TiVo's internet connection is inbuilt so doesn't use your home broadband, test whether it works by viewing a programme from OnDemand. If that fails, check for flashing green LED on the front-left of the box to suggest a failed modem.

If the internet connection works, then follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network > Connect to VM services now, to rebuild the guide.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm not sure what you mean by "repeat guided setup" or where this advice has come from, but TBA in your TV Guide is often a symptom of a lost internet connection, rendering your TiVo unable to download the guide updates.

The TiVo's internet connection is inbuilt so doesn't use your home broadband, test whether it works by viewing a programme from OnDemand. If that fails, check for flashing green LED on the front-left of the box to suggest a failed modem.

If the internet connection works, then follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network > Connect to VM services now, to rebuild the guide.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Bru1806
On our wavelength

Hi, thank you very much for your response, I appreciate it.

The message telling me to repeat “Guided Setup” was actually in the Messages section of “Help & Settings” on the TiVo box. 

However, I have since tried your suggestion (thank you very much!) and it now says there is a connection problem… I get the info below.

”There is a problem with the virgin media service (N13)”

There may be a temporary problem with the service or your Internet connection. Please wait a few minutes and then try again. If you continue to experience this problem, please restart this TiVo box.

Please make sure your firewall is not set to block UDP ports 37 or 123 or TCP port 37, 80, 443, 5005, 5222, 5223, 7287, 7288, 8000, or 8080–8089”

I’m not seeing any green lights, I can watch recorded shows, live TV, and things like Netflix & iPlayer, although I’d been signed out of those. I can’t get certain shows on demand though, it says “not available”

The Internet is fine, all of my other devices are connected. I’ve restarted the box and my router a couple of times. As far as I’m aware, no firewall is set to block those ports – this was all working fine yesterday and I haven’t changed anything.

I’ve restarted the box and my router a couple of times.

Hopefully this is a problem with the Virgin service and they will rectify it…?

However, if you have any other advice, I would be very grateful! Thank you. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As I mentioned above, a TiVo doesn't use your home broadband - its connection is inbuilt. Check the front-left of your box and there's 3 green LEDs - the middle one has a heartbeat logo next to it and is the onboard modem status. Is this flashing or static?

Also live TV and recorded programmes don't use the internet.

Unless you don't have a TiVo but are using a V6? Check on this page if you're not sure.

Bru1806
On our wavelength

I have just checked the service status, and it says there is an issue in my area… Not exactly the same issue I’m having unfortunately, but I bet that’s got something to do with it!!! 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Bru1806 wrote:

I have just checked the service status, and it says there is an issue in my area… Not exactly the same issue I’m having unfortunately, but I bet that’s got something to do with it!!!

Let's go at this methodically. Answer the questions I've posed above and see where that leads us.

Bru1806
On our wavelength

Ah that’s interesting…. From those pictures, I have a V6. However, on screen, all messages and information refer to TiVo. Hence the message saying I had to repeat “guided setup“ on my TiVo box. Given that I don’t have that kind of box, it would explain why I can’t find out how to do that!!!

I’m going to conclude that the service is down… unless you know how to fix a V6 in this situation?! Many thanks.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A V6 runs TiVo software but is a very different box connectivity-wise.

You mentioned earlier in the thread that you can use streaming apps such as Netflix/iPlayer - is that correct?

If yes - you've proven the internet connection working so there's an issue with your EPG. Follow Home > Help & Setings > Settings > Network, and focus on the left-hand-side. There should be a successful connection reported in the previous 6 hours, or a reason for failure. What do you see?

If no - the internet connection via your homehub isn't working. 1: How is your V6 connected to your homehub, is it Ethernet cable or wireless? 2: If wireless, the network connection screen will display the signal strength in the top-right. What is shown?

Bru1806
On our wavelength

Hi, the screen you describe says Last Attempt at 9:40pm tonight (I’ve actually been out this evening, so haven’t tried the TV for a while)… Last Status Failed. Service Not Found. 
Last Success: None Available.

Next attempt Sat 18/03 00:19

It’s connected via Ethernet so shows an IP address and MAC ID.

All other Internet connectivity is fine and I can access streaming services. Everything had changed overnight last night - when I switched on this morning, “My Shows” were displayed differently and I’d been logged out of all streaming services, as though there’d been an update or reset overnight. Since then, just TBA in the TV Guide, no Planned Recordings and repeated messages telling me to repeat Guided Setup as “my video provider has made a change”. Suggests I visit https://www.virginmedia.com/tvcode/m50 but that page doesn’t exist.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Service not found" is a new one on me, but a clear fault which needs VM intervention, Equally the "Video provider has made a change" - you've mentioned "my shows were displayed differently". Can you elaborate on that?

Post a picture to this forum thread if it'll help.