cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please New V6 & old hub 2 need engineer

Caz
Dialled in

Ordered V6, told I would get new Hub and engineer. Paying £135. V6 delivered, no hub told it is self install. Cannot contact Virgin,no online chat available, not capable of self install I have disability. Is £135 the amount for an engineer install? Can anyone offer advice what to do.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does this video help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxdC9XaGR38 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You dont actually need a new Hub for the V6 install - which is perhaps why they didnt send you one. I have an old SH2 and am running 3 V6 boxes just fine.

So what do you currently have? Are you replacing a box? An old Tivo TV box perhaps? Or have you no VM TV at all yet?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks, I am replacing Tivo box. Just wondered why I have to pay £135 if it is a self install. I was told when i ordered it a one off £35.but to be honest I couldn't  hear half the assistant was saying even when repeated 3 or more times.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I will move the post to the V6 forum as you will get better advice on there re. what the charge should be.

Re connecting it. Note that a V6 "must" be connected to the Hub. Doing that via ethernet cable is always best if possible - although they do connect over the wifi assuming the V6 is located in a good signal area.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Caz wrote:

Thanks, I am replacing Tivo box. Just wondered why I have to pay £135 if it is a self install. I was told when i ordered it a one off £35.but to be honest I couldn't  hear half the assistant was saying even when repeated 3 or more times.

This is going to be an account-specific thing which only VM can answer for sure - but it's certainly odd. I've seen figures of £25-£35 mentioned quite a lot on here, but £135 is impressive!!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

What you should get with the V6 is an IEC connector and an Ethernet cable. Disconnect the TiVo, fit the IEC connector to the coaxial cable and the V6 to the IEC connector. Connect the V6 to the TV with your HDMI cable. Connect the V6 to the hub with the Ethernet cable. When you power on the V6 it will get its software and EPG updates via the Ethernet cable.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does this video help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxdC9XaGR38 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Caz

Thanks for posting on our community forum

How are you getting on after trying the above tips?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks everybody. I am all fixed up now, an engineer came to set it up. Difficult for me as I have a disability prevents me from getting down to plugs and cables etc. What I would like to know is exactly what have i payed for. I was told £35 and charged £135 on top of my months bill. What do others pay to get a V6 box? I cant get through to them just yet lines too busy.

Thanks for every ones help.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Without sight of your bill, it's a tricky one to answer - I'd like to think the entry on the bill will have an explanation.

You could post up a picture of the bill, making sure to black out any personal and/or identifiable details. Or, if you can't call for whatever reason, then wait around here for a VM staffer to pickup - be aware this may take a couple of days.