cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heads up: FOX will be gone as of the 30th of June

dante01
Well-informed

I'm not sure as to whether any of Virgin Media's customers are aware of this, but the Fox channel will be closing in the early hours of the morning of Thursday 1st July. This is as a result of Disney pulling the channel and moving most of its more popular content to their Disney+/Sar subscription based streaming service.

I note Virgin haven't really posted anything to inform its customers of this up until recently when a pop up has appeared when you switch to the Fox SD or the HD channel and Virgin are stiill promoting the channel as being included with its packages? I've known about this for nearly 2 months and I'd assume so have Virgin Media?

I don't suppose my monthly bill will be decreasing by any chance?

Anyway, I thought someone should post something about this.

21 REPLIES 21

deans6571
Wise owl

...dam that IS a PITA 😧 😡

I watch The Walking Dead on Fox......

☹️

ozsat
Superstar

On the V6 - when I go to those channels I get a message popup to say they are closing

@dante01 wrote:

I'm not sure as to whether any of Virgin Media's customers are aware of this, but the Fox channel will be closing in the early hours of the morning of Thursday 1st July. This is as a result of Disney pulling the channel and moving most of its more popular content to their Disney+/Sar subscription based streaming service.

I note Virgin haven't really posted anything to inform its customers of this up until recently when a pop up has appeared when you switch to the Fox SD or the HD channel and Virgin are stiill promoting the channel as being included with its packages? I've known about this for nearly 2 months and I'd assume so have Virgin Media?

Anyway, I thought someone should post something about this.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@dante01 wrote:

No, it won't. Legally, VM's T&Cs allow them to add & remove services without your subscription changing.

And to flip the coin to the other side, customers rarely complain when channels are added at no cost.

I'd agree with ozsat here - there is a popup onscreen and unfortunately in this case - VM's hands are tied. This is another symptom of Disney's high-level strategy of "direct to consumer".

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

LittleMick73
Superstar
If Disney decides they want extra money in the form of a subscription, there is nothing virgin can do about it.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Be aware that if the sums add up for Disney then the National Geographic channels will be next to jump ship, possibly by the end of the year.

Discovery are also hinting at moving more content to Discovery+, although their CEO has committed to keep a presence with linear channels for the foreseeable future.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nodrogd wrote:

Be aware that if the sums add up for Disney then the National Geographic channels will be next to jump ship, possibly by the end of the year.

It's all speculative of course, but I've seen "by June 2022" mooted as the latest off-air date for Nat Geo & Nat Geo Wild, but who knows. These channels almost certainly have no long-term future in any case.

The last season of The Walking Dead as well as previous seasons will now be available via Disney's Disney+/Star subcription based streaming service in the UK:

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a36485674/walking-dead-uk-premiere-disney-plus-star/

The second season of War of The Worlds will also be hosted there along with the first season which is already available via Disney+/Star.

@LittleMick73 wrote:
If Disney decides they want extra money in the form of a subscription, there is nothing virgin can do about it.

Does that include reducing the money they charge you each month?

They are quick enough to increase it if adding channels LOL

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@dante01 wrote:

@LittleMick73 wrote:

Does that include reducing the money they charge you each month?

They are quick enough to increase it if adding channels LOL

They added GB News this month but I didn't see the price increase.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993