cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has VPN affected my television

simplydan2k4
Joining in

Hi I have a firestick, I use a vpn for it..

I got it a week and set up with it and for the last two days my tv services have basically stopped. There are no channels. I get error codes. I tried phoning virgin and for an hour the call taker had me switching off the box, switching off the wofo, switching them back on, lots of things and nothing worked. He then said he would call back in a few hours and of course never did. Do we think this is its own issue? Or is it related to the vpn. What I don't understand is the vpn is just on the firestick. My virgin media is in another hdmi port and does not have a vpn on the WiFi box. It's all more than I understand really was hoping someone could help

Cheers 

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Legend

Disconnect the Firestick from the TV and from its power supply.

Expect to discover the Firestick is not related to the issues of the TV channels not working.

g0akc
Problem sorter

I can't think how the VPN use would affect the Virgin TV.

• Is your broadband working? Wired connections working?
  • Is your WiFi working - can you get internet?
  • Does your TV box have coaxial AND Ethernet cables both connected? (it should have 4 cables total - power, coax, Ethernet and HDMI to the telly - though the Ethernet could be replaced by WiFi connection).  What connections does it have?
  • Can you get any on demand content via the Virgin box?  Any apps like ITVx or BBC iPlayer showing content?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You are talking about a Firestick, which is not a Virgin TV device, yet you have posted in the V6 TiVO forum.

Do you have a V6 TiVO with an issue?

If you have & you have switched all your internet to a VPN then a V6 will not work properly. Apart from live channels, all the On Demand, EPG data, updates & verification data come through your Virgin hub on a closed internal network from the local headend. If you use a VPN this sends the data outside Virgins network to the VPN provider, where it then cannot get back in to connect with the headend server systems it needs to, nor can the headend servers see the box.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes the issue on my virgin settop box is it just states that it is trying to find channels and states it can't find them and stays at 16%. There are no channels and ondemand doesn't work. I only mention the vpn because the issues seemed to start just after I got that 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The 16% symptoms usually indicate your TV box doesn't have a working co-ax connection, but @nodrogd has made some excellent points in the post above yours, and those could potentially explain your issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

You have two problems.

The failure of On Demand shows that the V6 isn't getting a network connection (which would happen if it's on a VPN).

The channels stuck on 16% shows that the TV signals are not being received by the V6.

Remove the VPN, power off the V6 and hub, check all cable connections between both the V6 and hub and wall socket for tightness, power on the hub and V6. Your V6 should now work again.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the box has no connection to VMs server system it cannot download the Network Identification Table that puts the channels in the correct order on the EPG, so it could be that even with a coaxial connection to the box the firmware may not be able to “find” the channels.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

As the OP's TV hasn't worked for only two days I think his NIT is probably OK (which is why I suspect a loose coaxial cable connection).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hey simplydan2k4,  thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am so sorry to hear this.

Thank you for letting me know what you have tried, I am going to send you a PM.

Please look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?