Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Drive Failing

EvilNurse
Tuning in

Hi all.

I think I may know the answer to this, but I know I have to ask 

I am now at a point where all recordings or live TV pauses I make are littered with jumps, blocks, pixellations and freezing. It has got to the stage now, where when I record a program I have to go straight to 'related videos' and watch it from the on demand service.

My HDD is failing isn't it?

All help, or even a professional confirmation appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A good test of HDD issues is...

Watch live TV - this proves your signal feed. Now pause live TV for a short time, to watch it delayed. It's effectively now a recording and using your hard drive in the same way.

If live TV is ok, but paused programmes breakup, this is a good indicator of HDD issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A good test of HDD issues is...

Watch live TV - this proves your signal feed. Now pause live TV for a short time, to watch it delayed. It's effectively now a recording and using your hard drive in the same way.

If live TV is ok, but paused programmes breakup, this is a good indicator of HDD issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi EvilNurse,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. Sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with pixelating and freezing on your recordings or when live TV is paused.

As our valued member @japitts has already given some excellent advice, did you try the above? Is the picture still breaking up after you have paused it for a short while?

Please can you let us know how the services have been since your last post. If the issue is persisting, please come back to us as we will need to investigate this further for you.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi there

There has been no change at all to my situation. It has got to the stage where when I now record something I almost always then have to go to the menu and see if it is available 'on demand' or 'catch-up' and watch it from there.

My recordings are basically now acting as bookmarks / reminders of my programmes.

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

Have you tried rebooting the box?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SpacePhoenix wrote:

Have you tried rebooting the box?

This might potentially relieve the symptoms for a short time, but just like poor signal faults - it's not a permanent fix.

Thanks guys

Have tried rebooting. Different HDMI sockets. I think I'm going to have to face the fact that it's failing....

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @EvilNurse,

Many thanks for getting back to us and I do apologise for the continued issues you're having with your V6.

I've located your account using your forums details and an error is being flagged with the equipment, that I would like to book a tech appointment to attend to so we can fix/replace the box.

I'll just send you a private message so I can get this booked in, so please keep an eye on the purple envelope at the top of the page.

Many thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide