cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDR on Sky Movies UHD?

Jocko
On our wavelength

Hi.

I seem unable to get any of the Sky UHD content to play with HDR active. This is via the option

Box Sets & Movies --> Movies --> Sky Cinema UHD

The Tivo box is connected to an amp (as are other devices) via HDMI. The amp is connected via HDMI to LG CX tv. Pass thru is set correctly on the amp. Other virgin services, such as apps --> iPlayer, play HDR content fine, as do all the other devices I have connected through the amp. I think based on this it's not an issue with connections or equipment.

First thing I'd like to confirm is whether any or all of the UHD content from Sky Movies actually supports HDR - I can't see any info on the movies to confirm this either way. However, I can see guidance to enable this from searches which suggests at least some of it is. The guidance I can find appears to relate to Sky Q specifically so no help to me.

I can see a possibly related link here but it doesn;t seem to answer the specific question I have: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/HDR-and-V6/m-p/3904171#M2251768

Under settings the only relevant setting I can see is Audio & video --> HDMI resolution. The options I see under that are...

• Automatic
  • 1080p
  • 1080i
  • etc

I see no option for 2160p or 2160p pass thru either under this setting or separately which I could see was asked on that other thread above.

I have tried using both the Automatic and 4K options and neither activate HDR.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi John,

You've posted in the V6 forum, but also mention a Tivo box - I think you have a TV360 box, and not a TIVO or V6.

If you have a 360 box then the remote control also has a voice button, which isn't available on either the V6 or Tivo boxes.

Can you confirm which box you have? https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box 

On the TV360 box under Audio & video --> HDMI resolution. options there is nothing relating to 2160p or 2160p pass thru, those options are only available on the tivo/V6 boxes.

The Sky content is not available in HDR at present.

HDR content is available on Netflix and Amazon apps, and also on Eurosport in 4K and HDR (HLG) when broadcast, along with selected content  in BBC iPlayer 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi John,

You've posted in the V6 forum, but also mention a Tivo box - I think you have a TV360 box, and not a TIVO or V6.

If you have a 360 box then the remote control also has a voice button, which isn't available on either the V6 or Tivo boxes.

Can you confirm which box you have? https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box 

On the TV360 box under Audio & video --> HDMI resolution. options there is nothing relating to 2160p or 2160p pass thru, those options are only available on the tivo/V6 boxes.

The Sky content is not available in HDR at present.

HDR content is available on Netflix and Amazon apps, and also on Eurosport in 4K and HDR (HLG) when broadcast, along with selected content  in BBC iPlayer 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Jocko
On our wavelength

Hi @newappollo, thanks for reply.

Apologies if I've posted to wrong forum.

This seems to pretty clearly answer the question - 'The Sky content is not available in HDR at present'.

I was aware HDR worked with those other services you mention, and must admit I find it odd they have a Sky Movies UHD service without HDR..

It does lead to the obvious follow up why isn't it supported. I will be very surprised if that's also the case with those UHD channels direct from Sky. I'm sure I'm not the first with that question though so will search the forums for any prev answers.

FYI I have Virgin TV V6 boxes (from my prev contract), but was sent 2 Virgin TV 360 remotes (for my current contract) along with instructions how to pair them and upgrade the box software. Hope that makes sense. I got the impression this was a common process to avoid shipping full sets of new kit, and to be fair the process was painless.

Thanks again.

As you have found it is correct that there is no HDR on the UHD movies. Although the majority of them are the Sky platform are no HDR it would be nice for VM to have some.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jocko wrote:

FYI I have Virgin TV V6 boxes (from my prev contract), but was sent 2 Virgin TV 360 remotes (for my current contract) along with instructions how to pair them and upgrade the box software.

I'm just going to pick up a couple of bits from this, unrelated to the UHD query but of note for others...

V6 & TV360 uses the same hardware, but the name refers to the software. V6 runs TiVo-software, TV360 runs the Horizon-SW - completely different platforms, hence the different names. You don't have "V6 running TV360", you have converted your V6 into TV360 and they will no longer be V6.

Secondly.. you allude to this conversion being as part of your contract, which is not the case. A choice to convert from TiVo/V6 > TV360 is just that - a voluntary choice. It's totally independent of any contract renegotiation - many people do the two things at the same time, but there is no compulsion or requirement to do so.

You can convert TV box software without a package change, as well as re-contract whilst remaining a TiVo/V6 customer.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Jocko
On our wavelength

Thanks for clarification.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there jocko.

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

To clarify was SkyUHD meant to be apart of your package? 

Cheers,

Kain