cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD

Rozzers
Joining in

I'm writing on behalf of a friend (no, really!) who has an issue with all her channels changing to HD. She doesn't like it and also feels that it has an adverse effect on the volume. It also uses more space when recording programmes etc. She wants to know if there's any way to switch to SD options.

6 REPLIES 6

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The short answer is no. HD is now becoming “standard” across a lot of the industry where it is technically feasible. It also costs money to simulcast channels in both formats. The vast majority of TV sets are now HD capable, so the reasons for SD being there are reducing by the minute.

I would also point out that recording of programmes is also dying a slow death, as around 60% of the population are now using streaming technology more than broadcasts.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Many thanks, I'll let her know! 

A few years ago VM changed the way videos are compressed, so recordings take up less space on your box. I think I did have some figures for SD compared with HD but no longer do, in any case case I do remember that there was a noticeable difference.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

A few years ago VM changed the way videos are compressed, so recordings take up less space on your box.

Indeed so - I seem to recall that HD programmes under MPEG4 encoding took up roughly the same disk space as SD programmes under MPEG2.

So you effectively got HD recordings for SD-space.

I don't know how many programmes your friend records and how long they take to watch them - but I would be genuinely quite surprised if the 1Tb storage that's standard on all V6 boxes presents a problem for most users.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I'm not sure how much she has recorded. I mean I have loads on my Tivo and it's generally OK, though my recordings have been freezing and are generally bad quality lately. She says it affects the sound etc and she asked me to investigate (no idea how likely that is) - not because I know anything about Tivo or TV but because I am a lot better with the Internet, computers etc than she is. I've let her know what you've said. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Rozzers wrote:

though my recordings have been freezing and are generally bad quality lately.

Sounds like your box has a fault. Either signal related or early hard drive failure.