cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD Skysports Bad Quality picture

Seals74
On our wavelength

Sky sports football picture quality on HD is absolutely terrible. What is going on? Rebooted the box and got a brand-new HDMI cable, had the engineer out and checked all the cables and signal coming in. Other channels are fine. It’s been like this for years. Why is this? Is it being sent at a lesser bandwidth from Sky itself??. It’s getting so bad I’m thinking of going over to Sky permanently. No proper answers are ever given.
Lots of people are complaining about it so why is nothing being done about it. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I can assure you, pixellation and picture breakup should not be happening on a fault-free install.

If you wait around here a few days, VM staff can run remote checks on your equipment (the same as if you called into faults) and hopefully identify a potential cause.

You probably do need a tech visit if you're still having issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

38 REPLIES 38

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Sky Sports HD is fine for me. What's the make and model of your TV?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi

The Tv is fairly New Panasonic Oled 2020 model 

The Panny OLEDs are all 4K aren't they? Let's try a couple of experiments.

1. Set the video output to 1080i only (which makes the TV do all upscaling to 2160p)

2. Set the video output to 2160p only (which makes the V6 do all upscaling to 2160p)

Is there a difference when you view a Sky Sports HD channel?

--

All my other Channels seem fine. I’m sure this has something to do with the way Sky supply virgin with the Sports channels. It’s definitely being broadcast a lower rate. I was watching the Euro’s on BBC and ITV and the quality was better than Sky’s rubbish. So all this advice Virgin give you about resolving it is an absolute nonsense!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Seals74 wrote:

I’m sure this has something to do with the way Sky supply virgin with the Sports channels. It’s definitely being broadcast a lower rate.

@Seals74 

There is no evidence that this is the cause, and I'd suggest trying Roger's experiments as an excellent way to further progress this.

All the responses you've had thus far are from other customers trying to help you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I’ve tried both of the settings at 1080i and 2160p as suggested, I didn’t see any change. 

thanks for help though

This suggests to me that there is a signal problem as it's not so likely that both the V6 and TV would be faulty. Unless there is an area fault I think that VM should send round a tech again to investigate.

--

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Let's re-check some basics that may have got missed....

@Seals74 has reported poor picture, but is this pixellation and breakup, that poor signal would generally cause, or what I'll loosely call "quality issues"?

Can the OP also specify which specific channel(s) are affected, especially if this is pixellation. Signal issues with one channel on any given mux would affect the others - which provides another line of investigation.

Hi, I’ve gone through VM and had the tech guy come around and check everything. Everything was fine he said, but agreed the picture quality was sub standard, very pixelated on the football/sport channels.

If I go to the standard definition skysports channel and look at that picture,  it is obviously worse but how anybody could watch that is beyond me. It’s like watching a old VHS  video. 

Anyway thanks for help with this. It doesn’t look like Virgin thinks this is an issue. The more people that complain about this hopefully they will look into it. 

I fear this won’t be the case so I’m serious thinking of going over to Sky after 16 years with Virgin. 🙁