cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD Channels Pixelated

Kopper99
Tuning in

Hi I am looking for some advice. 

A few HD channels on my V6 box is heavily pixelated and unwatchable. It's been like this for the last 6 months. 

The main ones of concern are ITV HD and Channel 4 HD. The BBC and Channel 5 HD channels are fine. The Standard ITV and Channel 4 channels are also ok.

I have had 2 Virgin engineers around and both have not been able to resolve the issue.

So far the following has been done:

- Replacement of V6 Box

- Replacement of the whole cabling from behind the box to outside of house.

- Cabling changes to the "Cabinet" on the street.

- Change of HDMI cable to TV

So now I am not sure what else to do. 

Virgin has not come back to me since the last engineer visit 3 weeks ago.

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks 

14 REPLIES 14

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kopper99 wrote:

The main ones of concern are ITV HD and Channel 4 HD. The BBC and Channel 5 HD channels are fine. The Standard ITV and Channel 4 channels are also ok.

How about C4+1SD? I presume by "standard ITV & C4" you mean ITV-SD & C4-SD?

@Kopper99 wrote:

Virgin has not come back to me since the last engineer visit 3 weeks ago.

How was it left after the tech visit - was any further action expected of VM or you? Have you reported the fault as ongoing since then? Or is this forum post your first contact?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes all the SD channels are fine.

The last engineer said he would investigate this further to his manager but not had any feedback since. 

I haven't gone back to Virgin yet to chase as it was not a bother over summer as I did not watch much TV. I wanted to see if there was any suggestions from this forum before I go back to Virgin again

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kopper99 wrote:

Yes all the SD channels are fine.

Something odd here then. C4-SD, C4+1-SD, ITV+1-SD, ITV-HD & C4-HD are all on the same broadcast frequency, so a signal fault affecting one should affect them all. Most of VM's broadcast TX's carry a mix of all-SD channels or all-HD channels, but this particular one is an exception.

@Kopper99 wrote:

I haven't gone back to Virgin yet to chase as it was not a bother over summer as I did not watch much TV. I wanted to see if there was any suggestions from this forum before I go back to Virgin again

I'd go back to faults and report that your problem isn't resolved - or wait on here for a staff member to respond and go digging.

The suggestion from this forum would be that pixellation is a symptom of a signal fault, you're paying for a fault-free service and so the best advice is to keep reporting your fault until it's fixed. VM have the fault notes from your account and should be able to see what's been tried - your first post gave a pretty extensive list but the fault case should be definitive.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response there Kopper99,

Welcome to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced, can I ask when was the appointment with our technican?

Regards,

Kain

Hi

Sorry, bringing this up again as I've had my 3rd Engineer visit recently with no resolution.

This engineer also seemed stumped at what could be causing the pixelation as like the others, have said in his years of experience working for Virgin Media, it is the first time he has come across this issue after everything has been done.

To recap, the Tivo box, cabling, connectors inside and outside have been either checked or replaced. The cabinet down the road has also been adjusted to no avail. 

He claims its not a signal issue as his device shows good strength. He also made 2 calls to 'experienced' colleagues whilst here but they also appear to have no other options. He said the only thing he could think of is a Broadcaster issue in the area but it doesn't make sense why it has been ongoing all year (I only reported it 9 months ago).

Anyone here have any other suggestions? 

Its only ITV HD and Channel 4 HD channels affected.

This recent engineer left closing the case as there was nothing else 

Thanks 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Kopper99 

I know you said that only 2 channels are affected, but please check ITV+1 and CH4+1

Both channels are carried on the same mux as ITV1HD and CH4 HD - there aren't any other channels carried on that mux.

If you are based in Wales it's a different mux which carries ITV1 Wales HD, but again that mux carries the other three channels and no others.

If the other hannels on that mux are also affected then it's definitely a signal issue.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi

I just tried ITV1 +1 and C4+1 and there is no signal at all.

Getting error on screen "there is a problem with the signal... Please reboot your Tivo box......please visit virginmedia.com/tvcode and enter Error Code W02" 

• No doubt I have rebooted many times over the months

I live in London

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kopper99 wrote:

He said the only thing he could think of is a Broadcaster issue in the area

This doesn't make sense either - broadcast channels arrive via cable & satellite feeds to the regional headend and are then distributed onwards from there. An issue at the headend would affect all customers fed from it - likely tens of thousands.

Even being generous and saying the fault was at the cabinet, again more than enough customers fed from that to cause a few complaints.

You've mentioned the cabling has been checked - all the way from your external connection point to the cabinet taps? Not asking you as such, but putting it out there.

The only cables that have been checked/replaced are from inside the property to external up until the boundary of the house outside. I am not sure if the cabling that then runs from underground to the cabinet has had checks