cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green Screen of Death

wellsy1976
Tuning in

Hi,

We have the green screen of death on one of our virgin boxes. We have raised this with Virgin Media and they have said there is an ongoing issue in our area that's been in place since December 2020. Until this is fixed they cant do anything about our broken box?! The issue would have been impacting our broadband services since December. The broadband has been terrible for months now. I put this down to everyone being at home and went out and purchased a Mesh system and also upgraded to the 500mb package. No one at virgin mention an ongoing issue then when i signed up!!

The estimated date for a fix for the ongoing issue is the end of April and we need to call back then and discuss the TV box

The issue with the green screen is in no way related to something that's been ongoing since December and we are expected to go with no service for another three weeks at best.  

Has anyone else had this response? I'm sure new customers have been set up in my area since December so the argument nothing can be done with the service until then cant stand up?

thank you for any advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm afraid this has happened a few times recently and it shouldn't.

You can try again by speaking to Faults, or take the route of speaking to Retentions (thinking of leaving us)

Hopefully a member of the Forum Staff will pick this up for you, however it may take a few days unless one of the Forum VIP's flags it for you.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm afraid this has happened a few times recently and it shouldn't.

You can try again by speaking to Faults, or take the route of speaking to Retentions (thinking of leaving us)

Hopefully a member of the Forum Staff will pick this up for you, however it may take a few days unless one of the Forum VIP's flags it for you.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

thank you Dave, that's really helpful

My wife did ask to speak to cancellation this morning after our second call to support but we did get the same answer

Hopefully we might have more luck here in a few days

thank you againa

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again wellsy,

I know it's not the same, but whilst waiting you could download the TV Go app and watch on a mobiles or tablet

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/services-support/apps 

You can also watch via a browser on a computer/laptop https://virgintvgo.virginmedia.com/en.html 

Some laptops can be connected to the TV with an HDMI cable, not sure if that would work with TVGO though 

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Thank you! We will give this a try!!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@wellsy1976 wrote:

We have the green screen of death on one of our virgin boxes.

The issue with the green screen is in no way related to something that's been ongoing since December and we are expected to go with no service for another three weeks at best.  

@wellsy1976 

Can you just confirm to avoid doubt... you've called to report the green "DVR has detected an error" green screen, and been told this can't be progressed because of an area fault?

As has already been mentioned... this is a box failure and merits a replacement. If this is what you've been told, I'll flag this post to the forum team for attention sooner than you would have otherwise. Calling in usually going to be quicker, and may yet prove to be so (given the time on a weekend).

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for getting back to me

yes this is the message we were given. We called last night and some tests were run but didn’t fix

we called again this morning and was given the same message

really appreciate your help

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As I feared, but wanted to check. Well I've used some VIP discretion here and escalated your post, so it's higher up the staff priority list than it would otherwise be.

I can't promise how long a response will take, but I'd like to hope you could have this sorted tomorrow.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you so much. Really appreciate your help!!

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @wellsy1976

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your fist post, we're happy to have you with us 🙂 

I'm so sorry to hear you're dealing with an error message on your set top box, I can appreciate this is super frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

I'm going to send you a PM so we can look into the details of the area fault and run some diagnostics for you. Please look out for a notification in the purple envelope, located in the top right hand corner of your screen.

Thanks,

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide