cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fobbed off with green screen of death

SiC-UK
Joining in

Hi all,

Had an issue for a few months now with recordings being garbled (pixelated screen, garbled audio, freezing) and one day had the green screen of death error message that this forum would seemingly agree is a hardware fault with the harddrive in the V6 Box.

Literally every recording has this issue now, though live/on-demand services are fine.

Called 150 and went to Faults and told them about the above. After having to do the mandatory switch off/switch on, confirming all of the video outputs were supported and them running a remote-check I was fobbed off with "its a problem with your TV".

I asked about the green screen and if their remote test can check for hardware faults on the drive - they confirmed it couldnt but the issue must still be my TV. 🙄

Since I've had the TV longer than the fault I find this hard to believe (TV is a Samsung UE43TU8500).

Has anyone here had a green screen error that wasnt a fault with the V6 box?

Regards

Si

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @SiC-UK

Thank you so much for your first post to our Community Forums and welcome to the team, it's lovely to have you on board. 

I am so sorry to see you are facing this issue with your V6 box, and that you have no had much luck with previous calls to us! Also a big thank you to @jb66 and @japitts for their help and advise! 

I'd like to run a few test on your equipment from our side but I will require a few details from you first, so I'm going to send you a PM now. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of the screen alerting you to a new message received. 

Thank you. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've never seen a green screen fault recover properly, it always goes wrong eventually and I believe it's normally the hard disk thats gone.

The script readers have no tecnical knowledge and I would personally just switch the box off at the wall and call up to tell them your box is dead, let them go through there scripts so they can send you a new one 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'll second everything that jb's already said - on the extremely rare occasion a green-screen error does recover, it'll only be a matter of time.

If you genuinely get no joy calling back to 150 - which should be the quickest way - then post back here and there's other ways & means of getting the correct outcome. But do try them as suggested, first.

And for what it's worth - live TV doesn't use your hard drive, and OnDemand uses the internet - that's why those are unaffected by HDD issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @SiC-UK

Thank you so much for your first post to our Community Forums and welcome to the team, it's lovely to have you on board. 

I am so sorry to see you are facing this issue with your V6 box, and that you have no had much luck with previous calls to us! Also a big thank you to @jb66 and @japitts for their help and advise! 

I'd like to run a few test on your equipment from our side but I will require a few details from you first, so I'm going to send you a PM now. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of the screen alerting you to a new message received. 

Thank you. 

To update this thread with its conclusion, Ashleigh_C arranged for an engineer to visit me. The engineer confirmed a hardware fault with the V6 Box and it was replaced.

Recordings have been fine since.