Menu
cheekyangus
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Favourites

@pdfbt40 wrote:

cheekyangus,

Yes, I was aware of the shuffling of placeholders and that it could or may not change favorite status.

Annoying as it is, I have been resetting Favorites using the V6 interface from a manual backup list.

But my question was, Is there a better way to backup/edit Favorites?

I can do a lot of editing using the VM GO app on PC or Android device, but not Favorites. A strange omission.

I know from when VM were offering upgrades from original Tivo to V6 that the Series Links are fairly regularly backed up, as these eventually synced after installation. I did have to do the Favourite list from scratch though. You'd think it was possible though if Series Links are, both the old Tivo boxes and the V6 both currently run the Tivo software (though slightly different versions I believe).

0 Kudos
cheekyangus
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@ekg wrote:

Let's hope they get this done soon as I started this query back in Jan 2018, I have since switched to the Tivo but still get this issue (it sometimes seems daily) with missing favourites. It's just something small but slightly annoying when missing something good because it didn't show up while surfing through channels.I don't always think of checking what's missing but guess I'm going to have to for a bit longer while they go through this process.

Cheers for the heads up cheekyangus Smiley Happy

Back then it may have coincided with VM moving HD channels from MPEG2 to MPEG4 (but I'm not certain). They seemed (just a perception) to take a break after all the HD channels were switched. It's only since the start of this year, and in the last few weeks in particular, that there has been a lot of publicly visable activity on this front again, this time for Standard Definition channels, of which there are many more of than High Definition channels.

The speed they are currently switching the channels over it should only be a month or two before it's finished. After that it should happen less, it will probably only happen then if they need to do housekeeping behind the scenes.

pdfbt40
Superfast
Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator

There seems to be 2 ways to set Favourites.  Both seem to be directly using the TV interface.

The first is directly from the Programme Guide.  It's rather clunky as it really has to be done with all programmes displayed.  At a programme channel, you then check its favourite status and edit.
If you do it with the Favourites filter on, your looking for what's missing. Then have to turn the filter off.
You can still monitor TV on the PIP.

The Second is to go to through Settings & Help, Settings, to a proper Favourites table which shows all channels AND favourite status. It's edited with thumbs up/down.
Unfortunately, no PIP while doing this.

Obviously, both preferably need a backup list, though a proper electronic backup and edit would be nice.

VM Go has the ability to review and edit My Shows, Planned Recordings, Manage Series Link, without interrupting  TV viewing.  Strangely not Favourites as far as I can see.

pdfbt40
0 Kudos
cheekyangus
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@pdfbt40 wrote:

VM Go has the ability to review and edit My Shows, Planned Recordings, Manage Series Link, without interrupting  TV viewing.  Strangely not Favourites as far as I can see.

I believe I read VM Go is based on software used by other cable regions of VM's parent company. Those other regions (in mainland Europe) use Horizon software on their TV boxes rather than Tivo and that mobile/tablet app was originally designed to work with that. VM's parent company has said the V6 box will be used with new version of the Horizon software in these other countries. There has been the suggestion that Horizon will eventually replace the Tivo software on the V6 in the UK. My point in all this is that a future update may make what you're suggesting possible. But as such it's currently all speculation and rumour.

pdfbt40
Superfast
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma_C

As requested I used the chat facility.

As usual it was a painfully slow and frustrating experience.

All I think I achieved is that Favourites aren't available except through the EPG and Box settings.

Apparently they are different to the Virgin TV GO editing facility on PCs of 
My Shows
Planned Recordings
My Series Links
My Wishlists
My Thumbs

But why isn't known.

pdfbt40
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Was the agent able to get this sorted in the end?

^Martin

0 Kudos
pdfbt40
Superfast
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yes and No.

After a prolonged back and forth to actual get them to understand we were to discuss the Favourites flag on channels, they confirmed what we've found.  There is no way to back up Favourite channels though its possible to swap/copy to another box.

They didn't understand/know that Virgin TV GO on a PC is used for editing many personal settings (as above) but not Favourites.

So all I, and others can do while our favourite continue to be partially lost is manually backup to a list and use that as a reference when there's a hiccup.

pdfbt40
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

Thank you for your continued input on this thread. I have reached out to once of our TV experts for some clarification for you all.

@cheekyangus is pretty much spot on with most of his comments. Basically, we’re migrating channels to MPEG4 to get better use of the bandwidth available. A consequence is that when it moves to its new home the “favourite” drops off. Unfortunately, there isn't currently a way to back-up these selections, but I have passed on your feedback. Hopefully, this is a feature we'll be able to support in the future.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
pdfbt40
Superfast
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

My view for what its worth is to add TV Channel Favorite settings to the PC version of Virgin TV GO as I said above.

It means I can check them against a manually maintained backup list, while STILL watching TV !!

pdfbt40
0 Kudos