cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error code C233

sootybutty
Tuning in

Hello everyone

Is anyone else having a constant issue with being unable to watch catch up, on demand, Netflix, Amazon prime & WiFi going off? It most often pops up with an error code C233. Landline dead for 2 weeks now. Can't connect to the downstairs box to access recordings there. This has been going on well over a year. Ive spoken to Virgin on the phone a few times when it all started plus gone through the live chat etc and done what they've suggested but it still keeps going off and on randomly. They sent a new box so we connected that but no difference! Sometimes the internet is on (as I can access internet from my laptop) but all the On demand type channels are not available. I have complained now via Virgins website as I can never get through on the phone and its just a recorded message telling you to go online. Grrrrrrrr. I have asked for a refund of 50% of what I've paid them over the last 12 months

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

Some of you might be seeing this error message due to the outage outlined here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/National-TV-Outage/td-p/4877466 

Thanks,

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

C233 indicates a loss of internet connectivity to your V6 box.

If you follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, the top-right corner will indicate your WiFi signal strength (among other things) - what does it say?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply. It says Signal: 50% (marginal) I'm thinking thats not good?!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It certainly won't be helping the cause!

If it's using the 5Ghz band, try experimenting with 2.4Ghz - this has better range and may help.

If you're already using 2.4Ghz, then there's (likely) the underlying problem, and you may need to consider relocating some kit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

OK thanks

Can you explain a bit more please? It is on the 5GHz. How do I change it down to 2.4GHz?

Thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi sootybutty,

You will be best making changes in your router first and then search for the wireless channels again on your V^.

Open a browser and in the address bar log into your hub 192.168.0.1 - then navigate to the following settings so you can differentiate between the signals.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click on Disable Channel Optimization  then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes. 

Now go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add a 2 to the end of the 2.4GHz Channel name, then further down add a 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name  and click on Apply Changes.

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.  Then log out of the hub at the top of the page

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

You could also do a search for an app such as wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you using your Superhub by itself, or in modem mode with your own router?

The SH, I believe, broadcasts both bands by default and the only issue is selecting 2.4Ghz on your V6. It's been a while since I used my V6 over WiFi so can check the menu paths later if necessary.

If you're using your own router, newapollo's advice is as good as anything.

Thanks Dave

That seems really complicated so I'll have a look but might wait to hear from Virgin re the complaint I sent them.

You mean just open a browser on my laptop?

If I get no help from Virgin I'll have a try at what you've said.

Thanks again

Karen 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you have your own router linked to your Virgin hub? Or are you using the VM Superhub by itself? I suspect the latter, but if you can confirm 😉

If you're only using the Superhub, then it may well (perhaps not older versions - others will be more familiar here) be using 5Ghz already and the only issue will be connecting your V6 to it.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again sootybutty,

It sounds harder than it actually is. These pictures may be easier to follow. Just type in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar of your browser and log in with the SSID and settings password (8 numbers) shown on the base of your router

renamessid.jpg

You don't need to do this bit, but it does help give a stronger signal without other networks interferring.

Channel Optimisation.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali