Menu
Enduser
Superfast
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Double recording !

Please can someone tell me why I keep getting repeat recordings of some programmes that I have a series link + to, even though I have set the options to New only.

0 Kudos
Cueball99
Rising star
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Double recording !

I would guess one is a recording and the other a link to on demand content.

Have you set the link to recodings only or recordings and streaming?

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It could be to do with missing program guide data, some channels give very little information about programs and don't specify exactly which episode any showing is, this can lead to the same program being recorded multiple times as the box doesn't know they are the same episode.

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

indeed - as Tavis says, the TiVo uses EPG data to ID individual program episodes to avoid recording duplicates. If the EPG data is incomplete, then the default position is to record everything "in case".

Do you have any specific examples? Reason for asking, most of the mainstream channels are pretty good with their guide data, but mistakes do happen with minority channels especially.

There is an email inbox for reporting genuine guide errors, mainly for when the Virgin EPG differs from broadcasters' published ones etc.

0 Kudos
Enduser
Superfast
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am using a V6 box, and yes they are a couple of minor channels, that the problems are on. What are the best settings to use on the Series Link+ page, particularly the start from setting.

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

"Start from", if I remember correctly, lets you tell the box not to record, say, series 1 of a show and only start recording when, say, series 2 is available.

But as per my previous post.. if the EPG data is duff, that's the issue that needs fixing. Which channel/programs are you having issues with?

0 Kudos
Enduser
Superfast
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Recordings only

0 Kudos
michaeldavis
Well-informed
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Enduser

Yes I think that we get the point that you are experiencing some sort of issue with recordings, but what exactly are the shows that you are experiencing issues with.

Some issues can be resolved with series links by setting recordings only, as this will preclude duplicate shows that are available via "On Demand" services.
Some shows may have the same episode number but a slightly different name and as previously stated the V6 will record them, just in case they are different.

The program guide (as supplied by tv companies) can be inaccurate, which is totally outside Virgin's control.

There are many factors with series links, but without specifics of a show that you have an issue with it does tend to make assistance from the forum difficult.  Smiley Happy

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.
Enduser
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I was just trying to find out what the optimum settings are for the 'Series Link+options' screen. If someone could just answer that, it would be good.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Enduser wrote:

I was just trying to find out what the optimum settings are for the 'Series Link+options' screen. If someone could just answer that, it would be good.

it depends what you are trying to record, generally,  "new only" "recordings only" "keep all" "start 1 min early" "finish 4 mins later" and record from the channel not all channels

0 Kudos