Menu
cruger
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Does existing customer adding a v6 box upstairs need outside cable feed.

I have just renewed my 12 month contract and negotiated a VIP deal for £89 a month but told to renegotiate a new discount after 9 months as that's how long it will last at £89.

With the VIP deal I get a second V6 tv box to add to my present V6 setup. I was informed by the Virgin team that I will not need additional outside cable running from the front to the back of the house where the upstairs bedroom is and where the second V6 tv box will go. I have power lines plugged in upstairs for a pc and was informed that the V6 tv box will run fine off of that. I have seen the virgin YouTube video linking a downstairs v6 to upstairs v6 using power line and Ethernet cables but  I have since read on here that for the V6 tv box to work in the bedroom an outside cable will be needed to feed into the second box as well as the main v6 tv box and hub downstairs. I have an engineer coming out to install the extra box but is exposed cables from front to back and more holes being drilled through the walls the only way to get the v6 tv box to work or is the power line and Ethernet cable going to be OK?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does existing customer adding a v6 box upstairs need outside cable feed.

Nope powerline and/or ethernet alone won't do it. The box will need to be connected to Virgin too, which they generally do by running cables outside and through the wall. You will need either powerline or ethernet (or wifi if your's is good enough) to connect it to the HUB and to be able to watch recordings from the other box, but it still needs the white Virgin coax cable.

0 Kudos
cruger
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply mate. Pretty much as I thought. I have phoned about 4 times now regarding the install of the extra v6 box and was told the engineer will get it working without the added white cabling and drilling.The thing is I don't even want or need the second V6 tv box but was told if I wanted VIP without the second box the price would be £100 a month. It seems pretty pointless asking the engineer to just hand me a v6 box and then put it in a cupboard for a year especially when virgin are short of them or even if he would do that.  

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well unless anyone else here knows any different, I have *never* heard of a V6 being installed without the white coax. Seems weird to me that you *must* have the 2nd box to have VIP package.

If I were you I would call them again, but choose the 'thinking of leaving' option. You will get through to Retentions, who do a lot more than just try to retain users.. they are the ones that really know what they are talking about. Discuss it with them. They may come up with a better package than you have been offered (eg all the TV without the 2nd box and paying extra for no 2nd box.)

cruger
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I did speak to Retention's who said £89 was the best deal as an existing customer and new customers were being offered VIP for £88 but insisted upgrading to 1 box on VIP would be £100. I have been with Virgin/NTL for 18 years mainly for the broadband but even that was getting cheaper to have as a tv deal. Then of course BT was getting more expensive to have as a landline on it's own so eventually I got the lot off Virgin. I will give them another try as you suggest, who knows maybe the afternoon people at retention's might think a little differently.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Corinneangela
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When you speak to Retentions, specifically ask about the coax.

0 Kudos
cruger
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks C, I'm glad you prompted me to phone retention's one more time. I spoke to a nice chap called Liam and he sorted me out. I now have VIP with no second v6 box and keep my Talk more anytime phone calls all for £78 a month and it's for 12 months not 9. I don't need an engineer and all my VIP services are up and running. Happy customer here.

Cheers.

Corinneangela
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@cruger wrote:

Thanks C, I'm glad you prompted me to phone retention's one more time. I spoke to a nice chap called Liam and he sorted me out. I now have VIP with no second v6 box and keep my Talk more anytime phone calls all for £78 a month and it's for 12 months not 9. I don't need an engineer and all my VIP services are up and running. Happy customer here.

Cheers.

Yay! That's wonderful newsSmiley Happy Glad you got it sorted Smiley Happy