cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need engineer to replace a old vBox with a new V6 box?

Rapssd
On our wavelength

Hello,

I'm upgrading from and VBox and TiVo to 2x V6 boxes. Also upgrading internet from 100mb to 350mb.

On the phone I was told an engineer was needed to install, so that they could turn up the gains. I booked this for a week's time.

Today I received a text from virgin, stating I can install myself. I accepted this then thought what about turning up gains.

Can someone confirm, if an engineer is really needed, or can I simply disconnect old boxes and connect the new boxes.

Many thanks, Raps

6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'd be quite surprised if you have one of the legacy V-HD boxes, they've been obsolete for a few years now - so that would be going some!

There's pictures of all the current TV boxes here and the legacy V-HD box here 

Which modem do you have? I'm not familiar with the broadband side quite so much, but some of the older hubs can't support the higher speeds - check here if you want to make sure 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ordinarily I don't see why the V6 installs can't be self-service providing you have working co-ax connections in all the rooms you want them, I'm not sure if the SH3 supports 350Mb - I hope they don't mind being "paged", but someone like @jbrennand can probably confirm. The common reason for needing a manned install is when your existing cabling is either insufficient (and thus new runs need installing, or the existing ones need amending)

The 360 question is a whole can of worms. It's a completely different software platform, it has some new features (voice control & profiles) but the TiVo-platform (which drives the TiVo & V6) is functionally superior with recording & series-link features. Some other functionality is different. But I'm not starting another thread on that - there's plenty of other ones already existing!

My only advice is to do your research into 360 before choosing to migrate. Any conversion is a one-way trip and you can't revert back to the TiVo-platform if you don't like 360. Currently, migrations to 360 are voluntary.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@japitts wrote:

I'm not sure if the SH3 supports 350Mb.

It does. I have an SH3 & I'm on 350.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

The issue is that all TV boxes from the V6 onwards need a connection to the hub. This isn't a problem when the box and hub are close as an Ethernet cable easily connects them, but the V6 in the bedroom will not work properly if the WiFi connection is poor.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Rapssd wrote:

I found the SH3 to be a rather poor router, so I have put that into Modem Mode and connected it to a NetGear Nighthawk router. WiFi reception has greatly improved as a result.

So, can the new V6 box be connected to the Nighthawk router? And, can I leave the SH3 in Modem Mode?

Good choice, using your own router and putting the SH into modem mode. I'm not surprised that wireless performance has improved as a result.

On your V6, follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and follow the on-screen prompts to connect the box to whichever WiFi-SSID you know is being broadcast from your Nighthawk router.

Just make sure all your other V6/TiVo boxes are connected to the same router and are on the same subnet - otherwise multiroom streaming won't work.

The Nighthawk has replaced the hub, so leave it in modem mode. If the lounge V6 connects by WiFi to the Nighthawk then all's good.

--

12 REPLIES 12

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'd be quite surprised if you have one of the legacy V-HD boxes, they've been obsolete for a few years now - so that would be going some!

There's pictures of all the current TV boxes here and the legacy V-HD box here 

Which modem do you have? I'm not familiar with the broadband side quite so much, but some of the older hubs can't support the higher speeds - check here if you want to make sure 

Rapssd
On our wavelength

Hi mate,

Thanks for your message. It's definitely that older vHD box. Truth be told, I paid for my mother to have the vHD box in her room, and it's apparently not worked for years! She didn't think to tell me. The TiVo is in the lounge. Both are being replaced with the new V6 box.

My router/modem is the superhub3, upgrading from 100 to 350mb.

Just wondering, whether my upgrade needs an engineer? I'd happily swap boxes myself, but I don't know about upping gains etc.

Separately, is the 360 better than the V6? I may cancel if the 360 is better. Does the 360 came with an extra monthly charge?

Again, many thanks for your time

Raps

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ordinarily I don't see why the V6 installs can't be self-service providing you have working co-ax connections in all the rooms you want them, I'm not sure if the SH3 supports 350Mb - I hope they don't mind being "paged", but someone like @jbrennand can probably confirm. The common reason for needing a manned install is when your existing cabling is either insufficient (and thus new runs need installing, or the existing ones need amending)

The 360 question is a whole can of worms. It's a completely different software platform, it has some new features (voice control & profiles) but the TiVo-platform (which drives the TiVo & V6) is functionally superior with recording & series-link features. Some other functionality is different. But I'm not starting another thread on that - there's plenty of other ones already existing!

My only advice is to do your research into 360 before choosing to migrate. Any conversion is a one-way trip and you can't revert back to the TiVo-platform if you don't like 360. Currently, migrations to 360 are voluntary.

Rapssd
On our wavelength

Ok mate, thank you again.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I'll call customer services and confirm tomorrow.

Take care and have a pleasant evening

Raps

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@japitts wrote:

I'm not sure if the SH3 supports 350Mb.

It does. I have an SH3 & I'm on 350.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Hi as nodrogd has said Hub3 will be fine with 350, it will support up to 600.  The Hub4 will go up to 1Gig at the moment.  You may have to do a pinhole reset just to force the update through for the speed increase

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

Rapssd
On our wavelength

Thank you all, much appreciated

The issue is that all TV boxes from the V6 onwards need a connection to the hub. This isn't a problem when the box and hub are close as an Ethernet cable easily connects them, but the V6 in the bedroom will not work properly if the WiFi connection is poor.

--

Hi Roger, thanks for your reply.

So this is my current set up. In bedroom, there is the router and VBox, both next to each other.

Downstairs in the lounge is a TiVo box.

New V6 boxes will replace above boxes and the router will remain in the bedroom.

I found the SH3 to be a rather poor router, so I have put that into Modem Mode and connected it to a NetGear Nighthawk router. WiFi reception has greatly improved as a result.

So, can the new V6 box be connected to the Nighthawk router? And, can I leave the SH3 in Modem Mode?

The cabling in the lounge is the same cabling in the bedroom, well I mean it's the same colour, thickness and connections, so I assume its all the same