cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable parental controls on V6 box.

JohnGMCMLXIX
Joining in

Is it possible to disable the parental controls on my V6 box? There are no children in my home and having to type in a password to watch "There's Something About Movies" every time is becoming annoying.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Steve1701
Rising star

Hi John,

Being asked for your PIN depends on what program you are watching and what rating OFCOM have given it. Depending on the rating of the program, you will be asked for your PIN if you are trying to watch before the watershed (21:00 hours)

You can access your Parental Controls to hide adult channels, disable ask for a PIN to watch recordings, Lock Channels etc:

Home > Help & Settings > Parental Controls (you will be asked to input your PIN now) then be taken to the menu.

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Steve1701
Rising star

Hi John,

Being asked for your PIN depends on what program you are watching and what rating OFCOM have given it. Depending on the rating of the program, you will be asked for your PIN if you are trying to watch before the watershed (21:00 hours)

You can access your Parental Controls to hide adult channels, disable ask for a PIN to watch recordings, Lock Channels etc:

Home > Help & Settings > Parental Controls (you will be asked to input your PIN now) then be taken to the menu.

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Steve has advised correctly, but to categorise the scenarios where the TV PIN is required...

Parental controls can be disabled via the settings menu as described.

Age-protected content being watched outside of watershed hours requires a PIN under Ofcom regulations. Whether you're watching live or a recording is immaterial.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

is this something which has changed recently ?

I only seem to encounter this problem when watching anything recorded on Sky MAX. Because Sky One is no more I had to change all my series links to any channel, so consiquently I have been getting duplicate recordings on Sky MAX and Sky Showcase with the same episode. When I watch the MAX recording I have put in my pin but on Showcase I don't just seems odd to me

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mark_a_carpente wrote:

Because Sky One is no more I had to change all my series links to any channel, so consiquently I have been getting duplicate recordings on Sky MAX and Sky Showcase with the same episode. When I watch the MAX recording I have put in my pin but on Showcase I don't just seems odd to me

This shouldn't happen - do you have any specific examples of where you get the same episode recorded twice?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I have had it happen on Manifest and SWAT but I changed the series links for most things now to Sky Max as this seems to be where they will be shown going forwards

Still doesn't explain why I have to put in my pin for Sky Max only

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Could you post up your SL settings, and I'll have a go at replicating this.

A quick check of Manifest EPG data looks fine to me - Showcase/Max/Replay are correctly showing duplicates of the same programmes.

It's not happened since I changed the series link settings so it's not a problem

I have got to the bottom of the other issue though. If you look at the program information everything on Sky Max now has a rating (PG 15 etc like you get on films) which no other channel appears to have. Not even Film4 has ratings in the information This is what is making me have to enter my PIN to watch recordings. Regardless of what time they were recorded or when the program is on, if the rating is PG or higher you have enter the PIN in order to watch it either live or recorded. For example I just put on There's Something About Movies at like 6:40 PM which is way before the 9PM watershed but because for some reason it's rated 15 I had to enter my PIN

Can anybody please tell me why only Sky Max has ratings and no other channel ? Ideally just remove that and the problem goes away

I have been getting the same problem but only on Sky Max. Can't speak for anyone else but for me it's because the program information now includes a rating like you get on a film so regardless of what time of day you watch a recording or live TV before 9PM you have to enter a PIN but this doesn't happen on any other channel as there are no ratings in the program information

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mark_a_carpente wrote:

Can anybody please tell me why only Sky Max has ratings and no other channel ? Ideally just remove that and the problem goes away

Without being able to find a specific example at the moment, I suspect the fix will be the opposite of what you're asking for.

In other words, the channels/programmes that don't have ratings potentially should do.