cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant flashing green light. Everything is connected

leeadams
Tuning in

Hello,

I am looking for assistance please. I have been directed here by a member of staff, via Twitter. I have been unable to speak to anyone on the VM helpline as their call centre is shut due to COVID.

Our TIVO (V6?) box has been flashing with a green light since 6th November. It says we are not connected to a network, yet I have gone through all the online guides; I have restarted it goodness-knows how many times and the wires are secured in the back so tightly, you would need a spanner to prize them free. Yet it still says there is something not connected?!

I was getting really frustrated with VM that I fired off an annoyed tweet to them some days ago and received a response this morning; saying that I should try this forum and a technical adviser should be able to fix my problem. 

I suppose it could be just as simple as it has past its shelf life now, as we've had it since the summer of 2015.

We just want it sorted please. Does it need replacing? If so, can this be facilitated?

Best regards,

Lee 

7 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@leeadams wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for assistance please. I have been directed here by a member of staff, via Twitter. I have been unable to speak to anyone on the VM helpline as their call centre is shut due to COVID.

Virgin's CS is open, but just very busy at times. If you need to call them, then do so - just be prepared for a possible wait.

@leeadams wrote:

Our TIVO (V6?) box has been flashing with a green light since 6th November. It says we are not connected to a network, yet I have gone through all the online guides; I have restarted it goodness-knows how many times and the wires are secured in the back so tightly, you would need a spanner to prize them free. Yet it still says there is something not connected?!

Does the box give any error message, this will always help point us in the right direction. It sounds like the box has booted up to live TV channels but has problems beyond that? Or is it stuck in the bootup cycle?

The V6 needs 2 connections. The white coax carries your incoming TV signal, but the box also needs a separate connection to the internet which goes through your VM superhub. Ideally this is an Ethernet cable, but it can also work over a reliable WiFi signal - how is yours connected?

@leeadams wrote:

We just want it sorted please. Does it need replacing? If so, can this be facilitated?

If your box is genuinely faulty, it can be arranged on here - but it's fair to mention this is primarily a community forum and VM staff are presently taking upto a week to respond - hence the advice to call in for any time-critical faults.

From what you've described, I'm far from convinced you need a replacement box just yet. If you can help with some of the points I've posted, it will help forum members such as myself, to point you in the right direction.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi the first thing I will say is the call centres are not closed just on shorter hours and less staff so waits are long 8am when it first opens you stand a better chance for a shorter wait time, having said that try pressing home, help and settings, settings, network, reconnect to the virgin media network now, it will show four phases the first 3 should green tick quickly, the last will go in percentages, hope that does the trick. Regards Micky

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

C130 is a connectivity error - so regardless of whether other devices are working ok, it's the V6 that matters.

Follow Home > help & settings > Settings > Network, and in the top-right corner, your box will report the WiFi signal strength - what is shown? If you connect using Ethernet, the same question applies? And did you try using another Ethernet cable, to eliminate the possibility of a duff one?

Once you have a working connection, you can use "Connect to Virgin Media service now" on the same screen.

As micky has mentioned, Virgin's C/S is open but has numerous warnings to discourage non-essential calls and keep the queues to those customers who need to call. and can't be resolved by other means.

Based on what you've said so far, I'm not convinced your box is necessarily faulty. Take the first two of my paragraphs above, and if you can answer those 3questions - it will be an excellent start.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Lee,

Let's try and get you connected wirelessly.

You are seeing that screen because the ethernet cable is still in the back of the V6, please remove the ethernet cable from the back of the V6  - the V6 box won't search for wifi whilst the ethernet cable is attached to the V6 box.

Now using your remote go to  Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network > Connect to the Virgin Media TV service now

and click on Change Network Settings > Connect to WiFi

Press the WPS button on your Hub until the light flashes, then press OK on your remote to continue.
Your box will attempt to connect automatically. 

If the connection fails, select try again to return to the Connect to WiFi screen and follow the connect instructions below.

From the Connect to WiFi screen select Search for WiFi networks with your remote and press OK.
A list of local networks will be displayed. Look for your network name and press OK and then your password from the base of your hub 
Once connected you will see Connection Successful screen – press OK to continue

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you using a TiVo or a V6? Please check here 

That photo looks like the back of a TiVo to me, and all the advice you've been given (from myself included) is based on your statement of it being a V6. (that'll teach me to assume!!)

The flashing green light - is it on the front-left of the box, second from left?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, I agree it's a TIVO  - the picture shows a scart socket  - a V6 doesn't have a scart connection

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No problem - moral of the story is to check everything and assume nothing 🙂

That green light is your box's "online" light indicating that the internal modem is failing, rendering the box offline without an internet connection.

You need to call VM and report your faulty box.. 150 from a VM phone or 0345 4541111 from any other phone. Follow the options for "I have a fault with my TV service" and ignore every other prompt - especially any that offer you a link or to "go online". If the automated system offers to book you an engineer appointment, take it.

If not - ignore all other prompts (many get confused!) and queue for a faults agent. You likely need a replacement box, possibly an engineer visit. VM can determine which.

17 REPLIES 17

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@leeadams wrote:

Hello,

Virgin's CS is open, but just very busy at times. If you need to call them, then do so - just be prepared for a possible wait.

@leeadams wrote:

Does the box give any error message, this will always help point us in the right direction. It sounds like the box has booted up to live TV channels but has problems beyond that? Or is it stuck in the bootup cycle?

The V6 needs 2 connections. The white coax carries your incoming TV signal, but the box also needs a separate connection to the internet which goes through your VM superhub. Ideally this is an Ethernet cable, but it can also work over a reliable WiFi signal - how is yours connected?

@leeadams wrote:

If your box is genuinely faulty, it can be arranged on here - but it's fair to mention this is primarily a community forum and VM staff are presently taking upto a week to respond - hence the advice to call in for any time-critical faults.

From what you've described, I'm far from convinced you need a replacement box just yet. If you can help with some of the points I've posted, it will help forum members such as myself, to point you in the right direction.

Hello, thanks for the response - it is connected via the white COAX cable. However, the internet connection is done wirelessly. I have even tried using an ethernet to see if that helps, but I still get the same. The current error message is a C130.

The Wi-Fi is working well as my laptop and phone are currently running from it without any problems. 

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi the first thing I will say is the call centres are not closed just on shorter hours and less staff so waits are long 8am when it first opens you stand a better chance for a shorter wait time, having said that try pressing home, help and settings, settings, network, reconnect to the virgin media network now, it will show four phases the first 3 should green tick quickly, the last will go in percentages, hope that does the trick. Regards Micky

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

C130 is a connectivity error - so regardless of whether other devices are working ok, it's the V6 that matters.

Follow Home > help & settings > Settings > Network, and in the top-right corner, your box will report the WiFi signal strength - what is shown? If you connect using Ethernet, the same question applies? And did you try using another Ethernet cable, to eliminate the possibility of a duff one?

Once you have a working connection, you can use "Connect to Virgin Media service now" on the same screen.

As micky has mentioned, Virgin's C/S is open but has numerous warnings to discourage non-essential calls and keep the queues to those customers who need to call. and can't be resolved by other means.

Based on what you've said so far, I'm not convinced your box is necessarily faulty. Take the first two of my paragraphs above, and if you can answer those 3questions - it will be an excellent start.

Hello,

Thanks for reply. 

When I called them I was taken through a series of automated messages; it definitely said this particular call centre was closed due to COVID and that I should seek help online.

I have tried your option before many times, but thought I would give it another go.

It says the following

"network connection unsuccessful"

PREPARING (Network cable unplugged)*

CONNECTING

GETTING INFO

DISCONNECTING

LOADING INFO

*It doesn't get any further than preparing. The frustrating this is - everything is connected, there isn't loose cables.

Thanks anyway for the reply, I do appreciate it.

All the best,

Lee 😊

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Follow Home > help & settings > Settings > Network, and in the top-right corner, your box will report the WiFi signal strength - what is shown?

If you connect using Ethernet, the same question applies

And did you try using another Ethernet cable, to eliminate the possibility of a duff one?

Hi there,

thanks for the message, I tired your suggestion, but I do not have anything about a wi-fi signal - see attached image.

Unfortunatelythumbnail_20201122_122054.jpg, I only have one ethernet cable.

Best regards,

Lee 🙂 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Lee,

Let's try and get you connected wirelessly.

You are seeing that screen because the ethernet cable is still in the back of the V6, please remove the ethernet cable from the back of the V6  - the V6 box won't search for wifi whilst the ethernet cable is attached to the V6 box.

Now using your remote go to  Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network > Connect to the Virgin Media TV service now

and click on Change Network Settings > Connect to WiFi

Press the WPS button on your Hub until the light flashes, then press OK on your remote to continue.
Your box will attempt to connect automatically. 

If the connection fails, select try again to return to the Connect to WiFi screen and follow the connect instructions below.

From the Connect to WiFi screen select Search for WiFi networks with your remote and press OK.
A list of local networks will be displayed. Look for your network name and press OK and then your password from the base of your hub 
Once connected you will see Connection Successful screen – press OK to continue

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response. There isn't any ethernet cable attached, it has been disconnected. See photos attached. 

I don't even have the option to connect to a wi-fi network. See pictures attached.

Thanks again, Lee No ethernetNo ethernetChange network settingsChange network settingsNo option to select wi-fiNo option to select wi-fi