Menu
Highlighted
Mattymoo
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Connecting Sonos Beam with a Splitter

I have just bought a Sonos Beam but having trouble understanding how to get it set up with my TiVo box

i can only have one HDMI cable running to the tv so need to have a splitter or something that connects it all together the other end of the cable.  I have already bought an HDMI switch but I don’t  think that was the right thing to buy as it would seem I can either have the TiVo working or the Sonos but not both at the same time with the sound coming through the Sonos

Is a splitter the right thing to buy and if so what sort should I get?  I understand that it needs to be ARC compatible but other than that I’m not really sure what I should be looking for 

Help!

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting Sonos Beam with a Splitter

There are two ways to connect the beam. 

The first option is if your TV has plenty HDMI ports:

Connect virgin to a non ARC HDMI port then use another HDMI lead from the ARC port to go from the TV back to the beam.

Alternatively 

Use an optical lead from TV to connect to beam via the supplied optical adaptor

0 Kudos
Mattymoo
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

.Thank you for your reply but because the TV is on the wall in a new build extension, with the HDMI cable through the wall & ceiling, I can only run a second cable to the TV with a huge amount of work.

The cable goes through the wall and ceiling and the virgin box is situated the other end of it on top of a kitchen cabinet.  Is there a solution with only one cable to the TV & a splitter the other end to support the Sonos beam & the Tivo box which will be situated next to each other?

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Is your sonos beam not directly below the TV?

You should linking the TV to the beam not the TiVo to the beam

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi I no it's a bit late now but it should have been mounted on a bracket that swings away from the wall so you can access cables and ports.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You could connect the Sonos to the TV with optical audio adapter but getting audio from a TV is rarely a ideal solution. In this case you'd only get PCM audio and Dolby Digital.

Why can't you connect the Sonos to the TV by HDMI ARC?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You can buy a HDMI audio extractor, it extracts audio from HDMI to optical then you can use the adaptor to turn it back to HDMI

0 Kudos
Mattymoo
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

You could connect the Sonos to the TV with optical audio adapter but getting audio from a TV is rarely a ideal solution. In this case you'd only get PCM audio and Dolby Digital.

Why can't you connect the Sonos to the TV by HDMI ARC?

I can connect the Sonos via HDMI ARC but then I need to find a way to link in the TIVO box as I only have the option of one cable to the TV 

0 Kudos
Mattymoo
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@jb66 wrote:

You can buy a HDMI audio extractor, it extracts audio from HDMI to optical then you can use the adaptor to turn it back to HDMI

Ok I can look at that.  

This evening I’ve connected the optical cable from the virgin box directly into the Sonos.  That works in as much as the sound from virgin is coming through the Sonos speaker and the remote control also works but when I switch to NETFLIX on tv mode I am still listening to Virgin channels unless I switch the sound on the tv to Tv speaker’.

As you can tell I really have no idea what I’m doing!

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Your setup makes no sense. How can you have a soundbar in a different room to the TV?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos