Menu
Highlighted
rfegan1
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Coaxial cable for V6 box

The coaxial cable I have been sent with my new equipment is so small in length. So I have to purchase an extension for it. Or do I actually need to use it. The v6 box is in my kitchen and the hub is in the next room  I am connecting the new one via WiFi  Thanks 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Coaxial cable for V6 box

@rfegan1 wrote:

The coaxial cable I have been sent with my new equipment is so small in length. So I have to purchase an extension for it. Or do I actually need to use it. The v6 box is in my kitchen and the hub is in the next room  I am connecting the new one via WiFi  Thanks 

The new V6 box "must" have two connections for it to work.  A coax connection to the VM network wall box/splitter and a connection to the internet through the VM Hub via ethernet cable, powerline adapters or wifi.  If the coax cable is too short, call them and ask them for a longer one.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
rfegan1
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My hub is in the next room and I'm trying to connect the new V6 box to a freeview TV in the next room  I'm struggling trying to connect the co-ax cable to my aerial from the TV. His knows what the male and female connection is.. Please help haha

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@rfegan1 wrote:

My hub is in the next room and I'm trying to connect the new V6 box to a freeview TV in the next room  I'm struggling trying to connect the co-ax cable to my aerial from the TV. His knows what the male and female connection is.. Please help haha

Not sure what you are trying to do but it doesn't sound quite right.  The V6 connects to your TV directly through a HDMI cable.  It also needs connecting to the VM network via a VM coax type cable into the VM wall box.  The V6 then also needs connecting to the Hub in the next room by the methods I said above,  If you also want freeview on the TV as well, the TV needs connecting to your aerial via another coax cable into the TV's antenna port - you dont plug the V6 into that port.

Maybe you should get the technician install option ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
rfegan1
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

There is no wall connection in the room I am putting the new V6 box in. I was sent the box as a self installation  The hdmi cable is attached but I can't get the coaxial connector into the box or TV. I was going to connect to the hub via WiFi. X

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@rfegan1 wrote:

There is no wall connection in the room I am putting the new V6 box in. I was sent the box as a self installation  The hdmi cable is attached but I can't get the coaxial connector into the box or TV. I was going to connect to the hub via WiFi. X

Wont work. Call it in and get a technician to come and connect it. They may charge you £99 for that - unless your negotiating skills are good Smiley Happy

--------------------
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@rfegan1 wrote:

Self install is only any good if you want your internet hub & V6 next to eachother. VM don't emphasise this enough when they offer it. Call up & say you were unaware of this restriction as you were not told. If you speak to them nicely you might get away with a free callout. You are taking an additional service after all.

Whatever you do however, don't mess with VM coaxial network. It is not standard coax & the cables they use are designed to stop Freeview & DAB radio signals leaking into the system where they can cause noise on the network that can disrupt the whole streets services. It also leaves you liable in the event the issue is traced to you.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
GanLieber
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi...as per my knowledge a coax connection to the VM network wall box/splitter and a connection to the internet through the VM Hub via ethernet cable, powerline adapters or wifi. If the coax cable is too short, call them and ask them for a longer one.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@GanLieber wrote:
Hi...as per my knowledge a coax connection to the VM network wall box/splitter and a connection to the internet through the VM Hub via ethernet cable, powerline adapters or wifi. If the coax cable is too short, call them and ask them for a longer one.

VM will only provide a 3 metre pre-made coax run, as longer lengths affect signal levels. Hence anything longer requires a tech visit.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos