cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Children's Channels Lost

Cad56
Joining in

Hi,

The majority of our children's channels, Nickelodeon etc, disappeared today. There is a message saying we can get them back for £6pm. Having a 4 year old eagerly awaiting the start of a new Paw Patrol episode at the time this was discovered obviously led to much distress in our household!

We did negotiate a new contract last month with faster broadband, but I'm 100% certain the operator stated that our TV package would remain exactly the same.

I'd appreciate some advice on this. Bit annoying if it cannot be rectified as these would have been included if we'd switched to another provider. 

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is a very common issue, and unfortunately for yourself - it's correct.

The chargeable kids channels that you describe were included as standard in legacy versions of the top-tier package - Full-House & XL. The current version of the top-tier "Maxit" only includes the free-to-air kids channels such as CBeebies etc. The chargeable kids channels are indeed in the "kids personal pick" which is an additional £5/month IIRC.

If you were within 14days from agreeing your new contract, you would have the option to rollback to your previous package and then renegotiate a new deal to include this add-on. If it's gone beyond that, all you can do is call VM, ask nicely, and see what they can offer you. But you should expect to pay the £5/month the add-on costs.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Cad56 

From 7th April to the 8th march VM gave all customers free access to kids channels https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/ 

You should check the TV package on your new contract as it may have been changed from the older, now obsolete ones.

The following link shows the channels available in each package, including the obsolete ones

ChannelGuide_Mar_22.pdf 

As you will see from the above, the extra kids channels are now only included as additional Personal_Picks 

The only exception to this is for customers on the now discontinued Ultimate Oomph package and the current Ultimate Volt package where they are included as standard.

The agent should have advised you if they had to change your TV package from one of the obsolete ones that the kids channels would no longer be included.

I hadn't realised that the price of the kids personal picks had increased from £5 a month to £6 a month. 

With the other Personal Picks, the first one you add is an extra £7 a month, any additional ones are £5 a month. You can cancel the Personal Pick at any time by giving 30 days notice. It won't affect your contract or any discounts you have.

If you've changed package within the past 14 days you can cancel that and request to go back to your old package, then try and re-negotiate and ask for the kids channels to be added for free.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for the replies. I guess if it's a "common issue and correct" it's not usually resolved?

We agreed a new contract on 14 Feb, so beyond 14 days. The change in internet speed was instant, so I assume the TV would have changed as well at that point?

I understand what you are saying about TV packages changing, which is most helpful. I'll check that out and see what we should have. However, I'm still annoyed if Virgin say nothing can be done as the phone operator said everything would stay the same. Also the change in package (if that's what had happened) didn't come in until after the cancellation period, again annoying as I could have changed to a provider that was a little cheaper and faster in our area, but opted out due to the inconvenience of switching and previous good experience with Virgin.

I'll have to try calling them tomorrow.

Thanks again!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cad56 wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I guess if it's a "common issue and correct" it's not usually resolved?

It's resolved by the kids personal pick being added to your bundle.

Whether that's chargeable or with a discount, depends on your negotiation skills, what offers may be available at the time, but also.. and this is not in your favour... how long it's been since the change. The longer it's been, the more the agent you speak to may think "it can't have been that important". You don't have the leverage of cancelling your package change either - so if they say "no discount, it's £6/month" then there's not really a great deal you can do beyond following the complaints route.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks