cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged £164.93 to swap Virgin Media TiVo 1TB to V6

Agarina
Joining in

Hi all

Absolutely fuming and starting to question my sanity so any help appreciated. 

Been on WhatsApp with Virgin for 2 days straight now. 

Asked to be upgraded to a V6, told I would have to pay an additional £10 each month (existing customer of 10 years plus here) so said "Nope absolutely not, free swap please" which was accepted eventually.

Now after I accepted the offer made to me to keep the same package (just a couple of quids less each month) and a V6 box to replace my existing older box, I'm now told I need to pay £164.95 for an engineer to come even after I've asked "why can't I do a Quick start install as I already got a box?" 

[10/01, 14:23] Me: Beyond connecting/ plugging in a few cables at the back of the TV and following the online set up guide, what more is there to do to justify £164.95? What is the breakdown of the costs/charge?
[10/01, 14:44] Virgin Media: *Arianne*
The Installer needs to connect it to properly connect to your V6 box, he has a one-time fee

Pardon my French but what the actual frell?! 

For info my package is:

M250 Fibre Broadband, Maxit TV, Bigger Bundle and Weekend Chatter at £64 month for 18 months.

Thank you 🙂

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Agarina 

I have no idea where the fee of  £164.95 for an engineer came from, but there is often a higher first bill when changing package but the following months package should revert to the actual package price. <<< this page >>>  explains the billing

You should be able to swap from a Tivo to a V6 box without upgrading your package. You would however though need a tech visit to install the newer box.

Fees for tech visits are normally £25. There may also be an installation or activation fee for the new box.

You have 14 days to change your mind for a package change, and revert back to your original package.

I would speak to retentions (thinking of leaving) cancel the regrade and re-negotiate a deal  with them. 

Retentions (thinking of leaving us) are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents. Hopefully you can negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

AFAIK the last time VM offered a (time-limited) free upgrade to a V6 was about nine months ago. The upgrade cost used to be £99.95 plus £35 activation fee.

If you don't want to pay you can just wait for VM to upgrade you from the TiVo for free (which will happen sooner or later).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If nothing else, £165 seems a very random figure and I suspect if you called back or tried live-chat again, you'd struggle to be told the same info twice.

Be aware if you take the retentions route, you'll get a hard sale for TV360 - whether that suits you or not is your call, but you should be prepared for it if you're not aware.

Faulty TiVo's are replaced with V6 as a matter of course.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Stepheninleeds
Rising star

I did a Quick Start install. It was very easy to follow the instructions. There was an issue with activation. A call resolved that. I am not sure why they insist on an engineer. I would call, or wait until you are offered the upgrade for free, as I was for 6 months.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Agarina, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the booking for a QS order.
I will look in to this for you and see what has gone on.
Watch out for the purple envelope inviting you in to a private message.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs