cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catch up on bedroom V6 box is buffereing and stuttering

MrCairo
Tuning in

Basically been having issues with the box in our sons bedroom it plays live TV just fine but cannot play any catch up TV to an acceptable level

Tried resetting box a few times but TBH not worked the one downstairs works just fine

Any idea

thanks

11 REPLIES 11

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Catch-up services rely on the connection between your VM internet hub & the box, unlike Live TV which is delivered direct via the white coax cable. How is the box connected to your hub? Is it wired or via WiFi?

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How are both these V6 connected to your homehub? That's what provides the internet connection for all the online functions - including OnDemand.

I suspect the box that's having problems could be connected by wireless, and that's potentially the weak point.

Check the wireless signal strength of any V6 that's setup that way, via Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and look in the top-right.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Both boxes are connected by a coax cable even the one upstairs, the connection is pretty old though and in quite an inaccessible place (behind a wardrobe) but none of the boxes are wireless.

It just seems to stutter and buffer a lot and I dont get why if it was a wireless thing I would understand that,

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The coax only provides a live TV connection, it doesn't provide an internet connection.

Your V6 will either have an Ethernet cable or a wireless one - else OnDemand simply wouldn't work.

What does the network connections screen report?

Ah that makes sense then it has to be a wireless one as the router is downstairs and there is only the 1 cable in the back of the box, no real option to move the router though might try a wifi extender

thanks.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So what does the Network Connections screen report for signal strength?

Just got home ...so the upstairs one is only 45% (Marginal) and my downstairs one is a sweet 100%

Problem now is the cable is very very short and there is no play in the length for me to move the box anywhere to see if I can improve the signal, May try a wifi sender and see if that helps I can plug it in at the top of the stairs.

Thanks again

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If one box is reporting 100%, is there a reason you're not using Ethernet? It's always preferable to wireless.

At least you know the reason for poor internet connectivity upstairs.

the box I need to get to is just to far away from the router to decently run a cable in any easy way, out the door across hall up stairs (U shaped) down landing into the bedroom etc just no really feasible.

Odd thing is the bedroom itself is directly above the router but its the room with the worst service.