cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Connect to the Master Bedroom Tivo box

GaryK2671
Tuning in

We had our Virgin Hub 3 replaced a couple of months ago and ever since then our 2nd Tivo box has not been able to access the saved programmes on the main Tivo box.

I have checked the Master Bedroom box (2nd box) and connected it to the network over Wifi.

When I try to connect from the main box (wired into the Hub), I get the error "Cannot Connect to the Master Bedroom Tivo box". Any ideas?

Also, I am considering getting my own router and turn the hub to modem mode, would that affect the Tivo boxes talking to each other?

Thanks

Gary

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you get any error message on the box when you're trying to stream programmes? This will always give a good indicator of what the problem is. Are the boxes TiVo or V6? You've mentioned TiVo but also referred to WiFi which is only supported on the V6. Check here if you're not sure.

@GaryK2671 wrote:

Also, I am considering getting my own router and turn the hub to modem mode, would that affect the Tivo boxes talking to each other?

Thanks

Gary

It will, in so far as the name of the WiFi network will be different to whatever the Superhubs broadcast, and you will need to connect your boxes to the new SSID. You'll have a single Ethernet cable running from your SH to your router, and all your devices connect to that instead.

That aside, no. The requirement is for all the multiroom boxes to be connected to the same home network. And purely personal opinion... the chances of your own router being an improvement on the free one supplied by VM, are at least evens 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Both boxes are Tivo 6.

"Living Room" is connected directly to the hub with a LAN cable.
"Master Bedroom" is connected via Wifi.

When first installed (just over 1 year ago) everything worked fine and we were able to watch recordings stored on Living Room box upstairs on the Master Bedroom box and also the other way around.

Several months ago we started having problems with wifi devices not being able to access the internet - despite having a strong wifi signal (even being a few feet from the hub). Virgin sent out a replacement hub a couple of months ago, but we still get intermittent "No Internet" messages on wifi devices. Wired devices have no issues.

Ever since we had the replacement hub, the 2 Tivo boxes have not been able to talk to each other.

A posted a different thread about the wifi issue and the general consensus was that we probably have too many wifi devices (phones, echo/dot, TV's) of which there are something like 13 or 14 devices. The advice was to buy a decent router and use the hub as modem only, although I haven't got round to this yet.

The only message that I was getting (on Living Room box) was "Trying to connect Master Bedroom" for 30 seconds or so and then "The Master Bedroom TiVo box could not be found". I tried this several times, but same message every time.

Then I selected the option "I no longer have the TiVo box" in the hope that it would then rediscover the Master Bedroom box, but no luck.

Master Bedroom box network is showing as Good signal 65-70% with speeds between 400 and 600 mbps. The box is located upstairs, almost directly above where the Hub is located downstairs. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can the WiFi-connected box use OnDemand ok? It'll be using the same WiFi connection, so a good test of whether the wireless is reliable enough - I suspect ~65/70% could be a bit on the iffy side if it gets much lower.

If VOD streaming works reliably on the same box, I don't see any reason for multi-room streaming to not be the same. VOD might just trigger an error message if there's an underlying WiFi issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Yes, the WiFi box (Master Bedroom) is able to access on Demand without any issues.

Do I need to do anything to get the 2 boxes to find each other?

RD54
Tuning in

Go in to settings and make sure you have active or fast startup set

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RD54 wrote:

Go in to settings and make sure you have active or fast startup set

Is incorrect advice in this context. The OP in this thread was using a V6.

Active & Fast Start is applicable to 360 boxes. The software is completely different.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Can you swap the boxes round. If the problem persists then it's probably not a box problem, in which case get a length of Ethernet cable to connect the bedroom box to the hub, and if this solves the problem the WiFi is not good enough.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection