cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer watch recordings on another V6 box

John_Co
Tuning in

I have had two V6 boxes for a little over a year now and until around Christmas could watch recordings from the Bedroom box on the Living Room box and vice versa.

Some time around Christmas this stopped working in either direction and when I tried to look at the recordings on the other box, I got a message saying something like "connecting...this can take up to 30 seconds" then a C423 error, even though each box is connected via Ethernet.

I have a mesh "router" and the boxes are connected to different mesh units, but things worked fine like this for a year or so, apart from the odd glitch when I had to restart both boxes or connect in the opposite direction.

I have tried all the usual things but nothing has worked. I have tried switching to Wi-Fi even though the current help suggests that you have to use Ethernet, and using Wi-Fi made no difference.

When the boxes were connected via Ethernet, going into Network Settings showed an Ethernet connection and the IP address and MAC address for each box matched what my router showed for them. The router showed them both on the main network via a wired connection. The IP address for one box was 192.168.68.120 and the IP address for the other was 192.168.68.121 so they were both on the same subnet.

I can access online content such as Amazon Prive Video without problem on each box.

I even tried saying "I no longer have this box" and after doing that I got a message saying there was no compatible box found.

When I rebooted the boxes after that, going into My Shows does not show the other box.

I am on the Ultimate Oomph bundle and my package shows:

• Virgin TV V6 Box, powered by TiVo
  • Additional TV Box

Should it say "Additional TV V6 Box"? I never checked before.

Is there anything else I can try before I call Support?

34 REPLIES 34

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @John_Co

Thanks for getting back to us, I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't see the bedroom box from the living room box. Can you try and connect all the boxes by WiFi instead of ethernet and see if the problem still happens?

This link here explains how the boxes connect in answer to your question 🙂

Best wishes,

Serena

I said in my original post that I had tried Wi-Fi but it made no difference.

The page you included a link to only talks about connecting TiVo boxes via Ethernet (I have two V6 boxes), which is what I have always done.

That page does not give the level of technical detail that would help diagnose a situation like mine, which I have seen reported by other people too.

I could see the Bedroom box from the Living Room box this morning so the latest test I did was to start playing a recording from the Bedroom box on the Living Room box and while it was playing, go to the Bedroom box and go to My Shows there, and I still could not see the Living Room box, even though the Bedroom box was currently streaming a show to it!

The current situation is that I can see the Bedroom box from the Living Room box around 40% of the times I have tried recently. I can see the Living Room box from the Bedroom box 0% of the times I have tried recently. Before approximately last Christmas, both figures were above 99% and I have not changed anything since then.

Thank you for the update @John_Co.

I have a look backend and everything seems to be operating well. Is it only issues with recording that you are having issues with? Are both boxes up to date software-wise?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

The only issue I have is streaming recordings between my two V6 boxes. Streaming from the Bedroom box to the Living Room box is intermittent, it has not worked for the last two days and did not work for several months until it started working intermittently again. Streaming from the Living Room box to the Bedroom box has never worked since around Christmas of last year.

Both boxes are running 20.10.1.1.RC5-VMB-11-C68

When this issue first started I tried to find out if this is the latest software version but never found a clear statement as to what the latest version is, so I am not sure if the boxes are up to date or not. They have both been rebooted many times and I have manually connected to the Virgin Media service so they have had plenty of chances to update if they need to.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @John_Co 

When I had that issue in the past I rebooted both boxes at the same time so they could perform a handshake and see each other again. 

I don't know if that was by luck or not and am unable to retest as my boxes have now been updated to 360's.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I have tried that, including after completely unplugging all cables from each box. It did not help.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi John_Co

Sorry to hear this is still ongoing 

Do you get any error messages at all whilst streaming your recordings 

Gareth_L

There is no error if I am able to stream a recording, the problems are:

1. that the Bedroom box never shows "Other TiVo Boxes" when I go to "My Shows", even when the Bedroom box is in the middle of streaming a recording to the Living Room box
  2. the Living Room box does show "Other TiVo Boxes" and shows the Bedroom box, but some/most of the time when I try and connect to it I get a C423 error, even though both boxes are connected via Ethernet; if I do manage to connect then I can stream from the Bedroom box to the Living Room box

Hi John_Co,

Thanks for coming back to us. How have things been since your last post? Are you still getting the error code C423?

Kind regards Jodi. 

The C423 code is only part of the problem.

Nothing has changed since my last post and this has been going on for weeks now.