Menu
doneganb
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Can my new V6 connect wirelessly to TV?

I have a wall mounted 55” TV in a main room that we have been using only on a catch-up tv/Netflix basis for the 2 years since we moved in. The reason is, it has no TV aerial connection and to do so would be murderously expensive and/or make a mess of the wall (can’t hide cables due to steel beams). My internet installation, virgin hub etc are all a couple of rooms away (8-10m distance). Is there any way I can connect the V6 to them there and watch/control the V6 in my TV in that (isolated) room?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can my new V6 connect wirelessly to TV?

The V6 box would need to be connected to the virgin media cable input by VM supplied coax and the V6 connection to the TV would need to be via a HDMI cable.  The V6 is capable of connecting to the Hub via WiFi if the signal is strong enough.

jbrennand
Legend
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

As Graham has said... another option that may work if your wif is poor is a pair of powerline adapters - one wired to the Hub and one to the V6.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
doneganb
Joining in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The diagram supplied with the V6 kit that just arrived has a coax cable going into it.  Are you saying I don’t need the coax into the V6?  Just the hub?  Then as you say I can try WiFi or powerline.  

Would this work? Would I lose functionality?

my wife hates having only catch-up and Netflix... she wants a range of channels to browse

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The V6 box requires both the coax connection to the VM wall point or splitter and a connection to the Hub.  The connection to the hub can be via Ethernet cable, WiFi or via power line adaptors.  

doneganb
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ok. So the VM point where internet enters the house, the hub and the V6 box are all at point “A” and are all connected to each other

the TV is at point “B” about 10 metres and 2 walls away with no option to connect a TV aerial to “B”

how can I get this to work?  You mentioned powerline?  Am sorry but I don’t get it and it has me driven nuts

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

You will need to get VM to move the V6 to point B.  They will need to put a VM coax connection into point B as well.  Once those steps have been taken you can see if the V6 will connect to the Hub by WiFi.  If not then consider using a powerline setup.

Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I would have thought that in a "main room" you'd want WiFI. You could get VM to move both the hub and V6 to point B and, if you need WiFi also in point A, try WiFi homeplugs.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Why can you not get an aerial to point B? Does that mean it doesnt have direct access to an outside wall (to drill through)? If that's the case then getting the VM coax there will have the same issues.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:
Why can you not get an aerial to point B? Does that mean it doesnt have direct access to an outside wall (to drill through)? If that's the case then getting the VM coax there will have the same issues.

Not necessarily, VM can drill through internal walls if required to get a connection point at B via a splitter from the connection at point A.