cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C501 error

Arronb88
Tuning in

Hello

I have had error c501 for over a week now while watching catch up on the all4 app. I have checked the cables and reset box and internet a number of times i have checked for faults in my area and there isnt any relating to my issue and they clear with in a day unlike my error. Getting fed up with it now. Any ideas?

The error happens half way through watching something. The red internet and connection lights flash on the front of the box when it happens. Its like the connection just drops off with no explanation or reason. 

19 REPLIES 19

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you sure you're watching the Channel-4 app? And not just a C4-branded (with All-4 logos all over it) OnDemand programme?

Does this same problem affect OnDemand from other channels?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for fast reply. 

Its in the app section of the home screen so i thought it was the app. Im at work now but will get the wife to check other apps and services and get back as soon as i can. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you're using the apps menu, then it probably is the branded app.

There's a chance this could be an app-specific issue, and C501 is a TiVo-platform error code, so there's a couple of things to check next.

Is OnDemand directly from the TV Guide/EPG affected?

And how is your V6 connected to your homehub - that's what provides the internet connection which OD uses.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hello

So we had a mess about with different services and on demand. Most seemed to be fine. Just all 4 seems to be the issue. Tried watching it again and it just got stuck on buffing and then crashed again. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm not sure what's different about how the C4-app connects on the back-end to any other streaming service, that's where I'd logically look for an explanation to this.

If all other VoD works fine including other apps, this would seem to either be an app-specific issue (which a reboot should solve) or something on C4's end. And yet C501 is a TiVo-software error code. Hmmm.....

Has it ever worked before? Is your V6 connected to your hub by Ethernet or WiFi? I asked before but can't see a response.

Yes sorry forgot to add that info. Its connected by ethernet. Its worked before. I very rarely watch tv as its a load of crap. I have reset the box a number of times by the switch at the back and by the menu and the internet hub. Other than factory resetting the box im not sure what else i can do.

Not sure if its connected but when the box starts or stops recording its freezes for a second or 2.

Thanks for your post and reaching out to the Community Forums, Arronb88,

Sorry to hear that you have been having onDemand issues. Have you been able to get things sorted since your post?

Cheers,
Corey C

Not really. Still having issues. Getting w02 error code now and random box restarts and takes around 3-4 minutes to come back on. When recording is starting and finishing i am getting upto 2-3 second pause on live tv aswell. I have followed advice and reset my box and checked wires ect.. Think its time for a new box virgin.

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

H there @Arronb88

Thanks so much for popping back this morning - I am sorry that you're still having some issues. I can see from locating your account from your forum information that the box was rebooted around 20 minutes ago. All the signal levels for the box are where they should be - no errors are listed and no known area issues at the time of writing. 

However, we can see that it has been around 3 weeks since your Hub was rebooted. Please turn off your V6 and then reboot the Hub. Once the Hub has reloaded and back online, then please turn the V6 box back on.

If you can let me know how you get on after that and if the errors still appear, that would be great. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team