Menu
chadnyc5
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

But why is there no NowTv app for Virgin Media??

I understand HOW to watch NowTv via other means (we use the Xbox app), but it would be much more convenient through the Virgin Tivo box app menu. This is how we watch Netflix, iPlayer, YouTube, etc. and it's great. 

For NowTv, we have to find the TV remote (we never use), switch the HDMI input. turn the Xbox on, find the app, etc.. 

My question is WHY is there no app? It would seem if Virgin can provide Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube.. it isn't a technical issue. Is it related to licencing? Is it a Sky vs Virgin contest? 

Fairly new to Virgin and not having Sky Atlantic is annoying. Please enlighten me. 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: But why is there no NowTv app for Virgin Media??

Virgin provides no apps, the BBC app is provided by the BBC, Netflix is provided by Netflix 

Now tv probably don't wish to help virgin

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Pretty much all of the material on Now TV is available toVirgin Media in other ways. Why would Sky ever produce an app for access via Virgin Media TiVo boxes?

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Virgin wont provide an app that basically undercuts its own service.  NowTV is a competitor of Virgin.  Can you imagine folk cancelling sky movies via virgin so they can watch it via an app on a Virgin box!

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

DUPLICATED THREADS MERGED - Please do not post multiple threads on the same issue

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

'Now TV is available toVirgin Media in other ways'

not really. we have now tv so we can watch sky atlantic, which of course we know won't be given to virgin. that i suspect is the reason there is no now tv app, for now....
chadnyc5
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I only use NowTV for Sky Atlantic, but that's a big one! Basically, all my favourite HBO programmes come to the UK through Sky Atlantic. I live in a conservation area that does not allow satellite dishes. Before we moved recently, I had been a Sky customer for 15 years.. not that they are so great.. but they do have Sky Atlantic. 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

BT TV customers should soon be able to get all of Sky’s NOW TV service.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@jamesofmerton wrote:
'Now TV is available toVirgin Media in other ways'

not really. we have now tv so we can watch sky atlantic, which of course we know won't be given to virgin. that i suspect is the reason there is no now tv app, for now....

I did say ‘pretty much all’, accepting Atlantic is missing. This, of course, confirms why Sky would never make a Now TV app available as it would defeat their own reason for keeping Atlantic to themselves.

chadnyc5
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Then why does Sky offer NowTV at all? If they want to keep their advantage, they could just say if you want Sky Atlantic, you must get a Sky package. 

As they are offering NowTV for those of us using other providers, why not have the app?

I get it.. maybe it's too convenient.. but they are still getting paid. 

They still licence Sky Cinema and Sky Sports. Even Sky One, etc.. I am sure they are getting paid for it all.

For me, it's just inconvenience dealing with inputs and the Xbox, but I still have access. I just can't easily flip to Sky Atlantic. 

0 Kudos