cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffer Symbol on Screen during on demand viewing

BenBarrass
Joining in

When watching on demand TV on out V6 box, the buffering symbol is constantly  spinning, but the show plays as expected and does not actually buffer.

Have rebooted  a number of times, but can't rectify.  It has done it on both All4 and My5.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers,

Ben

9 REPLIES 9

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi BenBarrass, thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear that the buffering symbol is appearing. Can you confirm how long this has been happening for and if this has now been resolved or are you still experiencing this? ^Chris. 

Is the V6 connected by WiFi? If so can you try an Ethernet cable.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ah, I missed this post first time round.

When you refer to "All4" & "My5", do you mean the branded streaming apps? Or do you mean normal OnDemand programmes that just have the branding on them? That makes a difference for starters.

And as alluded to by @Roger_Gooner - your V6 connects to the internet via your Homehub, that connection can be Ethernet cable or wireless - what is yours?

One diagnostic step here will be to test other internet-based functionality on your V6, and so the answer to my question in second paragraph above will be crucial.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Chris,

It started about 2 weeks ago and is apparently intermittent, as I can't get it to do it now.

It is not possible to get rid of it when it happens though.  I am trying to find an intervention approach when it happens again. 

Obviously, it is quite annoying watching a show with a rotating symbol throughout.

Thanks Ben

Hi Roger_gooner,

It is connected with Etherlet.

I do have it via my own router, using hub 3.0 in modem mode.

Thanks,

Ben

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When you refer to "All4" & "My5", do you mean the branded streaming apps? Or do you mean normal OnDemand programmes that just have the branding on them? That makes a difference for starters.

P.S... if you want to put one reply, then everyone on this thread will see it - there's no need to post multiple replies to different people.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi jaspitts,

I mean the on demand apps chosen through the  v6 All apps menu, so I  assume the dedicated streaming apps from All4 and My5.  It is an intermittent problem (not happening right now, but impossible to get rid of when happening), has been happening for the last 2 weeks.  I suspect other streaming apps might exhibit the same issue in the future and it is a software issue on the V6.

It is connected  via Ethernet through my own router with a Hub 3.0 set to modem mode.

The reason I don't  think it is the connectivity is the ethernet and the fact the programme is playing perfectly behind the buffering symbol.

Cheers,

Ben

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That's useful confirmation, and on the face of it I'm minded to suggest this is a problem with the apps themselves.

If you can get a video of this happening, and post it up, that might be useful.

Are the same programmes available via normal OnDemand?

Thanks for coming back to us @BenBarrass.

If you could provide the video as @japitts, this will help us to diagnose the issues as I cannot see anything wrong with your box.

Also, please could you try to clear your TV's cache by following the below instructions Home > Thumbs down > Thumbs up > Play > Play > Play.

This might not work but it wouldn't hurt to try and see if it can help.

Regards,

Steven_L