cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Both V6 boxes disconnecting from hub 4

Jamiemilne
On our wavelength

Hi, household upgraded to 1 gib fibre with a hub 4 last month. 

I split the wifi bands to dual mode, so the hub is broadcasting 2.4ghz and 5ghz, the v6 boxes are connected to the hub using the ghz5 access point. 

Every night, or every other night usually both boxes are disconnecting from the wifi and virgin network services, when I go into network settings the v6 box can't even find any wifi broadcasts until I power the v6 box off and wait on it rebooting and then I can reconnect to the wifi, then connect to virgin media services. 

This fixes the issue until the next night, or day after when it disconnects again. 

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Jamiemilne 

Any issues with any other wifi connected devices?

I would try setting both V6 boxes up on the 2.4GHz waveband. Yes, it's a slower connection than 5GHz, but stronger, plus yuo don't need the faster connection on the V6 boxes.

Or if possible try connecting both via ethernet cable.

It might also be an idea to do a search for an app such as wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub for a stronger signal.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Logically here if the change that's invoked these issues was the routed, I'd certainly want to make sure whether other wireless devices are similarly affected in the locations the V6 are.

In other words - is this a router issue, or a V6 issue? As it stands, that's not clear.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Not having any other devices having connection issues, only the V6 boxes. I switched both of them to 2.4ghz last Saturday and it lasted a week without disconnecting as opposed to the nightly on the 5ghz. 

I spoke to Virgin yesterday and the guy said he was updating the hubs Wi-Fi mode and width and it will help maybe. So just need to wait and see. 

The V6 boxes had no disconnecting issues before the hub 4 got installed, and no other devices had had issues after the hub 4 was installed. It's strange that when they do disconnect the searching for Wi-Fi option doesn't function, doesn't show any available networks until the box has been rebooted. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jamiemilne wrote:

I spoke to Virgin yesterday and the guy said he was updating the hubs Wi-Fi mode and width and it will help maybe. So just need to wait and see. 

From what little I know of the VM Hub's WiFi-functionality, this could mean a setting has been tweaked and good luck finding what... or it could be CS-talk.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey Jamiemilne, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear about the V6 box disconnecting. 

Okay, does the V6 connect to this frequency or do you connect it to 5Ghz? 

As newapollo you don't need the faster connection for V6 box, have you tried it on 2.4Ghz?

Please can you try this - Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes. 

Please let me know how you get on. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?