Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Black screen with sound. NETFLIX errors. AMAZON Prime errors

My Virgin TV experience has been constantly been below industry standard for some time .

From Amazon Prime connection issues being unable to play any content. Plays perfectly using the smart TV it's connected to so it has nothing to do with the broadband it's the box itself.

Netflix also comes into this status unable to play content.

And now on top of this one of my Tivo6 boxes almost everytime I restart from standby mode I get a black screen with sound and the menu only showing. I have tried the HDMI cable switch, the turning off and on works eventually usually after at least 15 attempts. 

This is just not good enough I almost at the point of moving away from Virgin sort this out for goodness sake it's rediculous.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Black screen with sound. NETFLIX errors. AMAZON Prime errors

Hi there @garyneill

Welcome back to our Community, sorry to understand that you've been having some various issues with your V6 box and also having issues with Amazon app and Netflix. 

I have been able to locate your account from your forum information so I can go through some checks with you and have a look at what could be causing your issues. I see that you have 2 boxes with us; are the issues happening on both boxes? 

From having a quick look, I have been able to communicate with one of your boxes - everything seems to be looking as it should on this one and was last rebooted around a week or so ago. Al levels are looking as they should and we can see it is connected to the Hub via Ethernet.

The other one is currently in Standby and as such we can't get any information from it at the moment - can you ensure that it's switched on for me and not in Low Power Mode and we can take a closer look at that one for you. 

When you advise you are restarting from Standby - do you mean you are just turning it on, or are you rebooting each time? (I understand you advise you reboot when you get the sound and menu, but just want to know how you are turning it on to get to that stage)

To release your box from standby, you can press any of the below buttons on you remote. Do you find that the issue happens on all instances? 

• Home
  • TV
  • Channel up/down
  • Any number key
  • On/Standby

Are you manually putting the box on standby yourself or do you have your box set up for auto standby after 4 hours? 

In regard to the issues with the apps you have mentioned, does this happen on both boxes also or just one of them? Can you advise the steps you take to open these apps? Do you go via the Apps section or via the channel numbers or even via program search? 

Pop back when you can and we can assist further if needed. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Katie

The box connected with the ethernet cable works perfectly with no issues it is the other one causing all the issues. On that one I get 95% connection to the router by virgin WiFi extender so I know that is not the issue.

What I normally do it press the power off mode twice on the remote to put it into standby mode after use. Then I get the black screen with menu I continually power off by remote control sometimes up to 10 times. Daily I now find i have no option but to switch it off at the back for a complete reset.

For the next 2 days I will put it on constantly from 9am to 8pm with the screen in the error with the menu black screen to let you look at it.  I will switch the TV off after though because looking after the environment is one of my concerns.

I will try to be on this form. from 12.00 to14.00

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Today I switched on by remote and my Smart tv said the was no signal or power coming from the HDMI I know it is not the TV as the PS4 works on both all the 3 HDMI slots even though the light was white on the Tivo box meaning there was supposed to be no errors

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

These problems only occur on the one connected by WIFI.

I Only use the apps to select Amazon prime and netflix don't use the channels.

I either press the Home or power button on the remote to turn it back on after standby. Black screen comes up or alternatively the smart tv cannot detect a hdmi signal and asks if the virgin box is switched on which it is. This leads to Off and on up to 16 times using the remote. I then have no alternative but to reboot by switching it off, on at the back.

The TV is fine as a PS4 is used on it daily I have switched the HDMI cables same thing happens whether I am using HDMI slot 1or2. 

TV is only 2 months old I thought it was the TV but it's not as I replaced it I was intending to do so anyway so it was no loss.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming that information.

As these applications run through the internet connection we'd need you to pin hole reset your Hub and check the WiFi boosters are connected correctly. 

Are you experiencing any other issues with the WiFi on other devices?

I'll include our booster help page here if you got these from us. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily

Yes the booster is one of yours and I have no issues at all with other devices.

In fact the last 2 days the main issue has gotten worst with the TV not even receiving a signal from the Tivo Box the only way to get it to work has been to switch it off at the back and back on full restart.

Usually if I switch HDMI from 1-2 it knows it's a Virgin box.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Are you able to go through the booster page above to check this? 

Have you also already been through the below steps on the box?

Home> Help&Settings> Settings> Network> Connect to Virgin Media Service Now

We also have our WiFi help page here.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

• Hi everything has said OKI went through the network diagnostics several times there is nothing wrong with the network.
  •  
  • The problem seems to be with the HDMI connector on the box regarding the black screen yet again. I never had to touch the HDMI cable now I have to remove it daily to plug it back iin or at least having to switch it off and on several times by the remote before it shows a picture or in extreme occasions I must restart by the switch at the back.
  • There is definately something with wrong with the standby startup software or alternatively the HDMI slot it burned out. It doesn't even get used as much as the one downstairs as it is on daily from 8 till 10 and there is nothing wrong with it the faulty on 2 hrs a day.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi gary,

Have you tried swapping the boxes over? This should show if the box/hdmi is faulty

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos