cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen - Samsung TV and V6 box

colinkay
Joining in

I have a Samsung Neo QLED QN95A and V6 box. 

Watching content from the internet via the TV's smart functionality is fine. But when I attempt to watch content from the V6 box - live TV, recordings,  catch up and on demand - I get sound but a black screen. 

Samsung say the TV is ok. Virgin say the V6 box is ok. The correct HDMI cables are being used, and I have tried the different ports without success. 

Any idea how to solve this as it's extremely frustrating. 

10 REPLIES 10

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @colinkay 

Have you tried the V6 box with a different TV? 

Normally the black screen issue is caused by either a faulty cable or port, or incorrect port beiing used, or cables that aren't HDCP2.2 compliant, although this doesn't usually affect live TV.

With a V6 you can usually force the screen to reset and it will display in the basic  576p resolution.

This will allow you to go into the V6 settings and change the video output again.

Using your remote control press Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, 4, 8, 0, Clear

You should now be able to see the screen again, so using your remote

1. Press Home  > Help & Settings >  Settings > Video Output > Video Output Format

Either go to Auto detect to run a test of your TV’s display options. It will then ask you to confirm the new display selection  or choose  Test Formats to run a quick test on the Virgin TV V6 box and follow the onscreen guides

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't have another 4k TV in the house, but I'm trying to get hold of one. I did connect the TV to another of my V6 boxes and it made no difference. 

I have the correct HDMI cables (Inc one supplied by the Virgin engineer who was here yesterday) and they have been tried in every port. It made no difference. 

I tried your suggested change. It changed to 576p resolution then the Auto Detect function changed it to 2160. The screen on the TV is still blank. I can see Virgin menus but that's it. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@colinkay wrote:

I can see Virgin menus but that's it. 

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Are you saying the V6 is generating the menus & EPG, but no video?

Because if so, the video output from the V6 is working. I'd want to look at why you're not receiving broadcast channels or OnDemand.

Unless I've misunderstood.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The V6 generates sound and all the menus but no live action. 

Yesterday my son took my V6 box and connected it to his LG 4K TV. It worked fine. He then brought his box to my house and my TV still only generated sound and all the menus but no picture. We then connected each box to another TV and everything was fine. 

Consequently I have now concluded the Samsung TV must be faulty. 

Hey Colin,

I’ve got exact same issue with my QN75 and Samsung are saying it’s not them (spent 1-hour on a support call where they remoted into the TV to do checks and resets) and virgin not helpful - can you please let me know if this was resolved… and if so… how!?

Thanks in advance!

Lee

Hi Lee, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with your TV, I can see you've spoke with us very recently regarding this.

Can you please confirm if this is something you still need help with.

Alex_Rm

It remains unresolved. I was led to believe it was being sorted, but it now appears that’s not the case.

How can this be resolved ASAP.

I'm so sorry to hear this @Leeri37

Can you just clarify what you mean by it was resolved? Were you able to see pictures etc? and then the set top box failed again? 

What did the agent advise?

Thank you

I meant I was lead to believe that Virgin were going to look into the issue further and get it sorted, but now I’ve been informed that no one will be looking into the issue further and there’s basically nothing else that can be done. It has never worked on the TV.

- I was originally told that Virgin would need to contact Samsung and sort it with them, but I don’t think that has been done nor are they willing to attempt to contact them.