Menu
Highlighted
DawnT
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Black TV screen

Watching TV last evening and the TV screen goes blank. Have sound now but no screen vision pictures. 

So will it be  a fault with my TV or the Virgin V box.

Have tried disconnecting the cables and rebooting the Virgin box. I do see a slight glimmer of screen initially but then disappears.

Help and guidance please?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Black TV screen

Have you tried a different HDMI cable and also tried connecting that to different ports on the TV?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
DawnT
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your quick response. 

I checked out the HDMI cable by removing it but don't appear to have any other ports to make another connection on the TV at the rear of the set!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@DawnT wrote:

Thank you for your quick response. 

I checked out the HDMI cable by removing it but don't appear to have any other ports to make another connection on the TV at the rear of the set!

Did you swap it for a new one?  They do sometimes "degrade".  If you only have one HDMI port then the TV will likely be pretty old.  Do you have another TV or computer monitor to connect up to see if the problem is with the TV or the tv box?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
DawnT
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No not got another TV in the home...I don't think!!  Surprising in this world!!!

Yes, the TV is not brand new but since I hear the sound and the picture still flickers on the screen; is it possible that it is not the TV??

Where to buy another HDMI cable??  Electric appliances shop?? [Not my forty!!]

I have not always lived at this property for the past years - been away Caring

Thank you for your suggestions.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@DawnT wrote:

No not got another TV in the home...I don't think!!  Surprising in this world!!!

Yes, the TV is not brand new but since I hear the sound and the picture still flickers on the screen; is it possible that it is not the TV??

Where to buy another HDMI cable??  Electric appliances shop?? [Not my forty!!]

It could be the VM TV box but given the vintage nature of the TV I suspect that is the most likely source of the problem - hence rule that in or out first.  Have you a family member, friend or neighbour who would prepared to lug their (small!!) TV or computer monitor in to test for you - for a cuppa and biscuits?   HDMI cables are pretty ubiquitous nowadays - my local Tesco superstore stocks them, PC World has them, Currys etc, - but I get mine online from Amazon.

EDIT: forgot to ask which VM TV box do you have (V series?, Tivo?, new V6?).

--------------------
0 Kudos
DawnT
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Have now been to purchase a new HDMI cable. The local guy in the shop says it is Virgins' box.

Anyway tried a new cable and really no difference; slight glimmer of picture at the starting up , turn on and then goes black. Sound and switching of the TV channels all work. Seems strange if the TV difunk that other bits still working on the TV box?

Didn't want to waste Virgin engineers time for a call out but feel it must be the box as sometimes now the broadband at home not working perfect either.

Done the usual things of switching everything appliance off and back on again...rebooting. 

As to the VM box not sure as when they replaced it they switched a couple of boxes about that they brought with them since had problems them!! 

Check for model details but just lots of numbers with nothing else. Its a small oblong box rather than the slim shaped one I did have last years. they heat up to very warm temperatures when operating.

Apologies for the delay in replying back.... busy sorting out life here..its sucks after.......

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So its not the cable. How was it when you tried another TV/monitor ?

--------------------
0 Kudos
DawnT
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Not an option at moment as don't have another TV screen.

Have to go to my late mothers home and bring her smaller TV back with me. Planning on this weekend but have to go next few days. Most Neighbours all have really large screens and don't know them that well to ask for any of them to bring any other TV round if at all possible!!

I shall be disappointed to have to buy another TV later to find out it is VM. My current TV is a Samsung and not what I call vintage but to replace will cost a lot of cash. And too many expenses lately to buy such a luxury item. Not sure how old her TV is either!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK - would be worth getting the VM techie in to take a look then. At the very least s/he will connect up a new V6 box - if its fine great - sorted. If it's not - then at least you know it is a TV problem. Give them a call and report the fault

--------------------
0 Kudos