Menu
GilesPWakefield
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Black Screen. Sound and guide/menus still ok

We switched to Virgin with a V6 box around a month ago, and we regularly (daily) see this issue.  The screen goes black, but sound is fine.  If you choose to view the Guide or change channels you do see the UI elements on the screen for this, just no actual picture.  Usually resetting the box fixes it.  Sometimes it requires a hard reset (either pull the plug or hold down the power button for a while until it goes completely off)

I've seen a few other people on here with apparently the same issue.  Many are advised to try new HDMI cables, with some even reporting that this helps.  I fail to see how this can possibly directly be the HDMI cable.  HDMI is a digitial standard for transmission of Video and Audio. I have seen times when the HDMI handshaking has gone awry and you see NO picture but get sound... but if that's the case, then you wouldn't see the TV guide or anything, so this is quite clearly a fault with the V6 box and/or its software - it's obviously generating an image and sending it to the TV (with menus etc on it), its just not including the part of the image that should display the actual video.

a Faulty Digital HDMI signal would result in (at least) random sections of the screen going all blocky/garbled or (more likely) no picture whatsoever.  It wouldn't result in the whole screen looking fine apart from the specific area that should contain the moving image (when looking at the guide screens)

I guess replacement of an HDMI cable may result in something being reset in the software of the box hence this apparently 'fixing' the issue for some, but I refuse to allow my HDMI cable to accept blame for this...

I've also seen people suggesting to change the output video settings, & setting it to 1080i can cause this issue.  I'll look into this later when I get home - I *think* it's set to Auto but not sure.

TV is an LG 4K model.  Somewhere around a year old and had no problem with the Sky+HD box I had before, or any other device whether HDMI or not (PS4, XBox 360, Wii...)

Is there anything else this might be, or that I can change?  I am not willing to pay for a service which does this with such regularity. 

I put up with a TiVo box for a while a couple of years ago, but couldn't bear it's absolutely terrible performance (was so absurdly slow to respond to anything) and switched to Sky.  I've now switched back to try this V6 box, which apart from this issue seems OK.

paul0363
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Black Screen. Sound and guide/menus still ok

It's an HDCP2.2 handshake issue and, yes, the HDMI cable can cause the symptoms you're seeing.  Pulling out and re-inserting the cable sometimes saves a box reset.

You need to make sure that your cables are HDMI 2.0 high speed compliant (there are different specifications of HDMI that cables need to work with hence why a new cable can fix things). If you've re-used your cable from your previous TiVo/Sky+HD then it's likely that it won't have the features required for 4K!

The fact that you've got the GUI showing is down to the fact that the V6 will still present the parts of the picture that do not require HDCP 2.2.

These leads work fine for me (I also have an LG 4K TV).  Also make sure that in the video settings that you only select the 2160 options (sometimes switching between 2160 and 1080 causes a glitch and the same symptoms).  If you select all the1080 and 2160 options the box will only output in 1080 (a known issue discussed in other threads).

In short - it could very well be your cables!

Chopper48
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have the same intermittent problem and it happens 2 or 3 times a week.  I use high speed HDMI cable (supplied with TIVO box) linked directly to the tv.  When no picture appears the only video setting available is 576p or 576i.  After reset I usually set for 2160 and 2160 pass through but within a couple of days it all reverts to 576.  Surely this must be a fault with the TIVO box requiring a replacement or at least a visit from an engineer?  A call to India failed to fix the problem.

0 Kudos
GilesPWakefield
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've now swapped cables around - still get this issue.

Fairly sure (though I can't be 100% sure) that the cable I was originally using was the one that came with the V6.  I still have the box it came in, and there isn't an HDMI cable in there now. 

I fixed the settings at 1080p and it still happens.

I've not actually thought to check/change the video settings whilst it's in 'black screen' mode, but if you can actually get a picture at this point then that is interesting, I'll try this next time I can.  I've tried to see if HDCP (as suggested above) would limit resolution (as if it applies across all available resolutions then that would suggest it's NOT purely an HDCP issue), but not had any luck so can't say if this supports that.

My belief is that this is a firmware bug of some sort.  I'll wait until it happens again to do the above test, then see if I can get anywhere with Virgin.  Doubt it, but we'll see.

0 Kudos
CamiVM
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've had this issue for a few months as well...
Swapped HDMI cables several times, used different HDMI inputs on the TV, but every few days, when turning the box on, I can see the menus, hear sound, but no video at all.
At that point, only video output setting available is 576 p/i, and i can only get the video back by turning the V6 off at the back, which then takes a few minutes to start up again...
And all is well for a few days, and then same thing happens again.
Several other devices connected to the TV (4k DVD player, PS4 Pro, Apple TV 4K), no issues at all, except with the V6!
0 Kudos
kirk1690
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I used to get this too til I read on a tech forum where guy said to switch off all equipment then take all hdmi cables and leave for 15 mins then restart equipment with hdmi ports empty ,when fully booted turn off again then reattach cables and boot,worked for me no problems since two months.