Menu
Blenky
Superfast
Message 11 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer 4k World Cup coverage confirmed but to be "restricted"

@dante01 wrote:

@Blenky wrote:
I take your point but I was really referring  to the HDR firmware update. Those on the the HDR trial have confirmed that the current rolling UHD demo on the iPlayer works and is in HDR.  That seems likely the 4K world cup will also be there. 

The type or form of HDR used by the BBC is a type termed HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)  though. Has Virgin Media actually indicated that they'll be updating their V6 boxes to handle this? Neflix use HDR10 and Dolby Vision and not HLG. Not all devices able to output HDR10 can also handle or output Dolby Vision and or HLG metadata.

A user on the firmware trial confirmed that when he played the HLG rolling demo his TV reported it was receiving HDR.  That's all I know on whether it will work. Awaiting the new firmware. 

0 Kudos
Gmjh
Up to speed
Message 12 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Of course hdr isn't actually needed. The bbc says it's 4k streams will support hdr and non hdr streams. The least virgin could do is have a standard.non hdr 4k stream 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@Gmjh wrote:

Of course hdr isn't actually needed. The bbc says it's 4k streams will support hdr and non hdr streams. The least virgin could do is have a standard.non hdr 4k stream 

There is only one stream from the BBC. The way HLG works is that it can work across HDR and SDR devices, rather than needing a different streams.

https://www.lifewire.com/dolby-vision-and-hdr10-4060427

However, HLG encoding is just another broadcast signal layer containing added brightness information without the need for specific metadata, that can be placed on top of the current TV signal. As a result, the images can be viewed on any TV. If you don't have an HLG-enabled HDR TV, it will just not recognize the added HDR layer, so you won't get the benefits of the added processing, but you will a standard SDR image.

But as far as I can see the BBC are only doing this for devices that specifically support HLG - for instance there are only 2017 and 2018 Samsung 4K TVs listed, even though earlier 4K Samsung TVs exist.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
dante01
Rising star
Message 14 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:

But as far as I can see the BBC are only doing this for devices that specifically support HLG - for instance there are only 2017 and 2018 Samsung 4K TVs listed, even though earlier 4K Samsung TVs exist.

I think it was originally infered by the Beeb that the Virgin platform wouldn't support HLG when the Beeb initially ran their test so you'd just get the 4K resolution sans HLG via the V6?

It doesn't really bother me anyway because neither my AV receiver to which the V6 is connected or my TV support HLG. Anyway, I'd be very surprised if the V6 is already able to output HLG prior to it even as yet getting its promised HDR10 update????

0 Kudos
Blenky
Superfast
Message 15 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:

@Gmjh wrote:

There is only one stream from the BBC. The way HLG works is that it can work across HDR and SDR devices, rather than needing a different streams.

https://www.lifewire.com/dolby-vision-and-hdr10-4060427

However, HLG encoding is just another broadcast signal layer containing added brightness information without the need for specific metadata, that can be placed on top of the current TV signal. As a result, the images can be viewed on any TV. If you don't have an HLG-enabled HDR TV, it will just not recognize the added HDR layer, so you won't get the benefits of the added processing, but you will a standard SDR image.

Just to be picky 2016 Samsung TV's support HLG (I have one) but the internal iPlayer app does not and will not be updated to support HLG\UHD.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Let’s be very clear.

The BBC iPlayer app on the V6 with the 20.7.6.RC20 software does support HLG (assuming your TV is capable).

0 Kudos
dante01
Rising star
Message 17 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_C wrote:

Let’s be very clear.

The BBC iPlayer app on the V6 with the 20.7.6.RC20 software does support HLG (assuming your TV is capable).

So most V6 users as it currently stands will not get HLG because the 20.7.6.RC20 software update hasn;t been rolled out nationwide.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 18 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@dante01 wrote:

@Ernie_C wrote:

Let’s be very clear.

So most V6 users as it currently stands will not get HLG because the 20.7.6.RC20 software update hasn;t been rolled out nationwide.

Correct but to quote the @deans6571 rule - if you can’t get HLG via the V6, get it through your Smart TV’s BBC iPlayer app.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 19 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@dante01 wrote:

There are still two weeks between today and the start of the World Cup.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
dante01
Rising star
Message 20 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:

There are still two weeks between today and the start of the World Cup.

Yeah and Virgin will be rushing themselves senseless to get an update out in time just like they've a well deserved reputation for Smiley Happy