Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 1 of 723
Flag for a moderator

BBC iPlayer 4k World Cup coverage confirmed but to be "restricted"

The BBC have made an official announcement that World Cup matches will be available in 4k & HDR this summer on the BBC iPlayer.

However, there is a fly in the ointment:

"All 29 of BBC One's World Cup matches are scheduled to be made available in 4K and HDR.

But each will be limited to "tens of thousands of people" - the exact number of iPlayer-equipped devices has not been specified in advance."

"To gain access, viewers must be among the first to click on the relevant home screen button just after each stream starts."

In other words if you are not quick enough you won't get in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44308154

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Tags (4)
deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer 4k World Cup coverage confirmed but to be "restricted"

That's good to know although a little weird that the streams are limited to "tens of thousands"...!!!!

Next question would be whether these 4k/HDR streams would look better streamed through the V6 iPlayer app or through the native iPlayer app on many Smart TVs (i'm guessing the latter!!)?!

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 723
Flag for a moderator

You never know Virgin might be able to negotiate a dedicated red button channel

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@dannylau wrote:

You never know Virgin might be able to negotiate a dedicated red button channel

That would make a nice "exclusive" as the high speed link is already there.

However, some might complain the public funded broadcaster was favouring people who can pay more on a pay platform over those who only pay the licence fee.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Blenky
Superfast
Message 5 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Has the HDR firmware rolled out to the V6 box?  Last I heard it was still only with a small test group. 

0 Kudos
deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@Blenky wrote:

Has the HDR firmware rolled out to the V6 box?  Last I heard it was still only with a small test group. 

...its rolling out "From May" (according to the Customer News help section buried in the V6 Settings menu). I still haven't received it.....

Blenky
Superfast
Message 7 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@deans6571 wrote:

@Blenky wrote:

...its rolling out "From May" (according to the Customer News help section buried in the V6 Settings menu). I still haven't received it.....

Come on VM!!!!  As the V6 is listed as *TBC* on the BBC list of devices surely it would be an 'own goal' if you don't roll this out in time for the World Cup.  Think of the kudos as Sky Q have yet to roll out HDR in the UK.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@Blenky wrote:

@deans6571 wrote:

@Blenky wrote:

Come on VM!!!!  As the V6 is listed as *TBC* on the BBC list of devices surely it would be an 'own goal' if you don't roll this out in time for the World Cup.  Think of the kudos as Sky Q have yet to roll out HDR in the UK.

Its a BBC's provided App. Its up to them to give it the necessary functionality & provide it for distribution..

0 Kudos
Blenky
Superfast
Message 9 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@Blenky wrote:

@deans6571 wrote:

@Blenky wrote:

Its a BBC's provided App. Its up to them to give it the necessary functionality & provide it for distribution..

I take your point but I was really referring  to the HDR firmware update. Those on the the HDR trial have confirmed that the current rolling UHD demo on the iPlayer works and is in HDR.  That seems likely the 4K world cup will also be there. 

0 Kudos
dante01
Rising star
Message 10 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@Blenky wrote:
I take your point but I was really referring  to the HDR firmware update. Those on the the HDR trial have confirmed that the current rolling UHD demo on the iPlayer works and is in HDR.  That seems likely the 4K world cup will also be there. 

The type or form of HDR used by the BBC is a type termed HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)  though. Has Virgin Media actually indicated that they'll be updating their V6 boxes to handle this? Neflix use HDR10 and Dolby Vision and not HLG. Not all devices able to output HDR10 can also handle or output Dolby Vision and or HLG metadata.

0 Kudos