Menu
Corinneangela
Well-informed
Message 311 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer 4k World Cup coverage confirmed but to be "restricted"

@Weejah2 wrote:

I can't use the TV app without an aerial to tune in. House doesn't have one

I don't have a TV aerial anywhere either but can use the TV app. Maybe because my TV is connected via ethernet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
helicon9
Joining in
Message 312 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@ozsat wrote:

If you are using the non-UHD version of the app - then it doesn't ask if you want UHD - it just offers live or from the start.

You know when you have the correct video as it has a massive 'BBC UHD' dog in the top-right of the screen.

@helicon9 wrote:

TV can def handle it. The UHD trial within iPlayer works great. If I select it from the home screen it doesn't even ask if I want UHD.

Maybe it's just all the slots are full? Just odd as I was on there way before it began.

I didn't know there was a different version of the iPlayer app on V6.

I go into apps and it only had one version of the iPlayer app in there. This version lets me access the UHD trial in the settings menu.

0 Kudos
deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 313 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so my experience so far.....

Watching on BBC ONE HD gives a superb picture on my Samsung 50”MU6120. Best way to watch it on iPlayer is to wait for the Red Button prompt and then select iPlayer from the left hand menu, which then loads up iPlayer (through the V6) whilst the game continues in the background. 

iPlayer then asked me if I wanted to watch in HD from the beginning or watch in UHD, so chose the UHD option (it’s still giving me the UHD option 21 minutes into the game so slots are still open). 

However, on BOTH iPlayer on the V6 and iPlayer on my TV’s native app, the picture is really dark when watching in UHD - it’s like the  match is being played at night (the grass on the pitch is a very dark green colour and you can barely see the player’s shadows casted by the stadium’s floodlights) so is not nice looking to watch it like this?? BBC ONE HD gives a good vibrant picture...so not sure what’s going on with my TV?!

Additionally, sound keeps cutting out in UHD on both apps.....

Smiley Indifferent

ozsat
Wise owl
Message 314 of 723
Flag for a moderator

The UHD Trial of Planet Earth works on all iPlayer apps - both UHD and non-UHD.

With HLG encoded programming it should stream with HLG on a HLG tv - and without HLG but still good quality on a non-HLG tv.

Only one stream is need for all viewers.

It isn't that there are lots of different versions - but the users is only offered what they should be able to view.

The UHD-HLG feed in iPlayer has this dog in the top-right of the screen.

IMG_0027.JPG

@helicon9 wrote:

I didn't know there was a different version of the iPlayer app on V6.

I go into apps and it only had one version of the iPlayer app in there. This version lets me access the UHD trial in the settings menu.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Well-informed
Message 315 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@deans6571 wrote:

Watching on BBC ONE HD gives a superb picture on my Samsung 50”MU6120. Best way to watch it on iPlayer is to wait for the Red Button prompt and then select iPlayer from the left hand menu, which then loads up iPlayer (through the V6) whilst the game continues in the background. 

iPlayer then asked me if I wanted to watch in HD from the beginning or watch in UHD, so chose the UHD option (it’s still giving me the UHD option 21 minutes into the game so slots are still open). 

However, on BOTH iPlayer on the V6 and iPlayer on my TV’s native app, the picture is really dark when watching in UHD - it’s like the  match is being played at night (the grass on the pitch is a very dark green colour and you can barely see the player’s shadows casted by the stadium’s floodlights) so is not nice looking to watch it like this?? BBC ONE HD gives a good vibrant picture...so not sure what’s going on with my TV?!

Smiley Indifferent

Have to agree just switched from app in UHD to BBC HD and the HD pic is much brighter and more pleasant to watch (and no buffering).

Johnny_Boy
Tuning in
Message 316 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Buffered 3 times and lost the sound each time. Gave up and watching on sky q now in HD

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 317 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@deans6571 wrote:

Smiley Indifferent

The darkness in the HLG video is why I said I preferred the HD channel scaled to 4K by V6.Smiley Very Happy

ozsat
Wise owl
Message 318 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Have you done any calibration on the tv?

My tv app and the V6 are giving brighter and much more colourful images over the live HD channel.

Had a couple of sounds issues on both.

@deans6571 wrote:

Smiley Indifferent

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos
mobily
On our wavelength
Message 319 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Impressions:

- worked perfectly for 30 minutes and then buffered and sound disappeared. Had to revert to HD

- picture much darker than what I would expect with HLG

- excellent image quality makes HD look like SD

- sound only stereo not Dolby digital stereo on my soundbar?

- very annoying having to manually select video output to 2160p

0 Kudos
deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 320 of 723
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_C wrote:

@deans6571 wrote:

Smiley Indifferent

The darkness in the HLG video is why I said I preferred the HD channel scaled to 4K by V6.Smiley Very Happy

.....not sure why the HLG would give a darker screen though?