cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC channels distorted

harjman
On our wavelength

Hi

BBC1 and BBC2 channels are distorted and pixelated. Started yesterday 26/06/2021 and still happening now. All other channels are fine. Done all that I could find on the forum ie checking cables, rebooting etc but to no avail.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Harj

25 REPLIES 25

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've not mentioned whether these are HD or SD channels you're having issues with?

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

Standard advice for any pixellation issue on this board is to first check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

harjman
On our wavelength

Hi

This is on BBC1, BBC2 and BBC1 HD.

I did ring VM but get the automated run around in circles message where they pretend to run a check on my box and inform me there is nothing wrong.

I just need a human being to talk to so that I can get this sorted out. All other channels work fine, just hoping rest of the EURO matches are on ITV.

Any help from anyone and that includes VM support will be greatly appreciated.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What are the pictures like if you select iPlayer?

I tend to use that when watching the Euro's as most of the games on BBC are in UHD.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@harjman wrote:

I did ring VM but get the automated run around in circles message where they pretend to run a check on my box and inform me there is nothing wrong.

Often, hanging up and calling back immediately will bypass those checks and get you into the queue for a faults agent.

If not, then wait here for a day or so as per my previous reply.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

harjman
On our wavelength

hi newappolo

thanks for that. i have been doing that but thats not the point really.I need the channels to work as i am paying money for them and dont see why i need to find an alternate way of watching bbc.

harjman
On our wavelength

hi japitts

you are right. i'm on the line with them now.

harjman
On our wavelength

Hi All

Just talked to suppport at VM and this is what I have been told.

The fault number is f008889516 - and its basically an outage due to high utilisation. Which according to VM could last until the end of August.

Why it affects just BBC1 and BBC2 the VM support guy had no idea on that.

So the basic answer is if I want to watch BBC I need to watch it in iPlayer and if BBC1 comes back then lucky me.

Disappointing and very open ended which makes me very frustrated but what can I do apart from threaten to move to SKY. Knowing my luck SKY will have the same fault. Oh well I have no power so just have to live with it.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Utilisation is almost irrelevant for TV faults such as this - in the vast majority of cases, it only affects broadband. I'll be generous and say your faults agent was confused.

As to why specific channels are affected, digital TV platforms broadcast channels in clusters (multiplexes) which don't always correlate to their guide positions. In this case, BBC1-HD & BBC2-HD are on the same TX.

Stick around here and VM staff should be along to have a proper check for you.

harjman
On our wavelength

Hi japitts

I did tell the VM guy that he was BS ing me as what he was saying would have meant that all channels would have been effected.

He did agree that what he was stating did not seem right but that was all he was given from the techies at VM so he was just reading it out.

I was not too happy that BBC1 channels were going to be off until end of August.

Hopefully some techies at VM will get in touch and give a true explanation, and fingers crossed, a resolution before end of August.

Heres hoping.